Synonyms for Sentenceˈsɛn tns
This thesaurus page is about all possible synonyms and similiar words for the term Sentence
a string of words satisfying the grammatical rules of a language
conviction, judgment of conviction, condemnation, sentence(noun)
(criminal law) a final judgment of guilty in a criminal case and the punishment that is imposed
prison term, sentence, time(verb)
the period of time a prisoner is imprisoned
sentence, condemn, doom(verb)
pronounce a sentence on (somebody) in a court of law
sentence(noun)To declare a sentence on a convicted person.
sentence(noun)Someone's pronounced opinion or judgment on a given question.
sentence(noun)The decision or judgement of a jury or court; a verdict.
sentence(noun)The judicial order for a punishment to be imposed on a person convicted of a crime.
sentence(noun)A saying, especially form a great person; a maxim, an apophthegm.
sentence(noun)A grammatically complete series of words consisting of a subject and predicate, even if one or the other is implied, and typically beginning with a capital letter and ending with a full stop.
sentence(noun)A formula with no free variables.
sentence(noun)Any of the set of strings that can be generated by a given formal grammar.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
To condemn is to pass judicial sentence or render judgment or decision against. We may censure silently; we condemn ordinarily by open and formal utterance. Condemn is more final than blame or censure; a condemned criminal has had his trial; a condemned building can not stand; a condemned ship can not sail. A person is convicted when his guilt is made clearly manifest to others; in somewhat archaic use, a person is said to be convicted when guilt is brought clearly home to his own conscience (convict in this sense being allied with convince, which see under PERSUADE); in legal usage one is said to be convicted only by the verdict of a jury. In stating the penalty of an offense, the legal word sentence is now more common than condemn; as, he was sentenced to imprisonment; but it is good usage to say, he was condemned to imprisonment. To denounce is to make public or official declaration against, especially in a violent and threatening manner.
From the pulpits in the northern States Burr was denounced as an assassin.
CoffinBuilding the Nation ch. 10, p. 137. [ Harper & Bros.'83.]
To doom is to condemn solemnly and consign to evil or destruction or to predetermine to an evil destiny; an inferior race in presence of a superior is doomed to subjugation or extinction. Compare ARRAIGN; REPROVE.
The bandit was condemned to death for his crime.
Translations for Sentence
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ዓረፍተ ነገርAmharic
- جُمْلة, حكمArabic
- сказ, фра́заBelarusian
- присъ̀да, фра́за, осъждане, изрече́ние, осъждамBulgarian
- ཙིག་གྲུབTibetan Standard
- frase, sentènciaCatalan, Valencian
- rozsudek, věta, trest, sentence, odsouzení, odsouditCzech
- Satz, Strafe, Schuldspruch, Verurteilung, Urteil, verurteilenGerman
- frazo, kondamnoEsperanto
- sentencia, oración, condena, pena, punición, condenar, sentenciarSpanish
- lause, kohtuotsus, süüdimõistmineEstonian
- جمله, گزارهPersian
- tuomio, lause, virke, sanonta, ratkaisu, rangaistus, päätös, lausunto, tuomitaFinnish
- peine, phrase, jugement, punir, condamnerFrench
- binn, peanas, seantans, breith, rosg-rannScottish Gaelic
- büntetés, ítélet, mondat, elítélHungarian
- sententia, condemnation, pena, phrase, sententiarInterlingua
- pena, frase, condanna, condannareItalian
- 文章, 判決, 文Japanese
- сөйлем, ұсынымKazakh
- ល្បះ, ប្រយោគKhmer
- 판결, 문장Korean
- sententia, addīcōLatin
- SazLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- ການຕັດສິນ, ປະໂຫຍກLao
- пре́суда, о́суда, рече́ница, досудува, пресудува, осудуваMacedonian
- dom, domsslutningNorwegian
- uitspraak, veroordeling, oordeel, zin, vonnis, strafDutch
- setning, straff, dom, dømmeNorwegian
- zdanie, wyrok, orzeczenie, skazaćPolish
- condenação, sentença, frase, pena, sentenciarPortuguese
- verdict, propoziție, opinie, sentințăRomanian
- пригово́р, фра́за, предложе́ние, наказа́ние, осужде́ние, приговори́ть, пригова́риватьRussian
- реченица, ȍsuda, rečènica, prȅsuda, presúditi, osúditiSerbo-Croatian
- rozsudok, vetaSlovak
- straff, fras, mening, dom, sättning, döma, avkunnaSwedish
- kifungo, sentensiSwahili
- శిక్ష, వాక్యముTelugu
- sözlem, hökümTurkmen
- tümce, cümleTurkish
- جۈملەUyghur, Uighur
- фра́за, ре́ченняUkrainian
- gap, jumlaUzbek
Get even more translations for Sentence »
Find a translation for the Sentence synonym in other languages:
Select another language: