English Synonyms and Antonyms
To allure is to draw as with a lure by some charm or some prospect of pleasure or advantage. We may attract others to a certain thing without intent; as, the good unconsciously attract others to virtue. We may allure either to that which is evil or to that which is good and noble, by purpose and endeavor, as in the familiar line, "Allured to brighter worlds, and led the way,"
GoldsmithDeserted Village, l. 170. Lure is rather more akin to the physical nature. It is the word we would use of drawing on an animal. Coax expresses the attraction of the person, not of the thing. A man may be coaxed to that which is by no means alluring. Cajole and decoy carry the idea of deceiving and ensnaring. To inveigle is to lead one blindly in. To tempt is to endeavor to lead one wrong; to seduce is to succeed in winning one from good to ill. Win may be used in either a bad or a good sense, in which latter it surpasses the highest sense of allure, because it succeeds in that which allure attempts; as, "He that winneth souls is wise," Prov. xi, 30.
Allure to a course; allure by hopes; allure from evil to good.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for allure
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- изкушавам, привлекателност, привличам, съблазнявамBulgarian
- locken, Anziehungskraft, Verlockung, Reiz, verlockenGerman
- fascinación, cautivar, encanto, atraer, atractivoSpanish
- viehättää, vetovoima, houkutella, houkuttaa, viehätysFinnish
- attrazione, richiamo, affascinare, attrarre, incantare, ammaliare, ammaliamento, fascino, sedurre, incantoItalian
- 魅力, 魅惑Japanese
- aantrekkelijkheid, verleidenDutch
- czar, wabić, nęcić, powab, przyciągaćPolish
- заманивать, заманить, завлекать, прельстить, завлечь, привлекательность, прельщатьRussian
- привабливість, шармUkrainian
Get even more translations for allure »
Find a translation for the allure synonym in other languages:
Select another language: