a high steep bank (usually formed by river erosion)
pretense that your position is stronger than it really is
"his bluff succeeded in getting him accepted"
bluff, four flush(adj)
the act of bluffing in poker; deception by a false show of confidence in the strength of your cards
bluff, bold, sheer(adj)
very steep; having a prominent and almost vertical front
"a bluff headland"; "where the bold chalk cliffs of England rise"; "a sheer descent of rock"
rank(a), transparent, sheer(a), absolute, cobwebby, vapourous, plain, diaphanous, right-down, sheer, see-through, vaporous, gossamer, filmy, bluff, bold, unmingled, gauze-like, unmixed, downright, gauzy, out-and-out(a)
bluntly direct and outspoken but good-natured
"a bluff but pleasant manner"; "a bluff and rugged natural leader"
bluff, bluff out(verb)
deceive an opponent by a bold bet on an inferior hand with the result that the opponent withdraws a winning hand
frighten someone by pretending to be stronger than one really is
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Bluff is a word of good meaning, as are frank and open. The bluff man talks and laughs loudly and freely, says and does whatever he pleases with fearless good nature, and with no thought of annoying or giving pain to others. The blunt man says things which he is perfectly aware are disagreeable, either from a defiant indifference to others' feelings, or from the pleasure of tormenting.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
precipitous bank (especially on the margin of a river or the sea)
Translations for bluff
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- стръмен, блъф, отвесен бряг, груб, отвесен, откровен, безцеремонен, блъфиране, блъфирам, откритBulgarian
- blufo, blufiEsperanto
- farol, petateSpanish
- hämäys, bluffi, hämätä, jäyhä, jyrkkä, harhautus, jyrkänne, bluffaus, tylppä, bluffataFinnish
- blefe, falésia, blefarPortuguese
- откровенный, открытый, блеф, обрыв, отвесный берег, грубый, отвесный, утёс, прямой, блефовать, резкий, обрывистый, бесцеремонныйRussian
- blefirati, blefiranje, pečina, pretvarjanje, se pretvarjatiSlovene
- bluff, rättfram, bluffa, burdusSwedish
- blöf yapmak, blöfTurkish
Get even more translations for bluff »
Find a translation for the bluff synonym in other languages:
Select another language: