a society in an advanced state of social development (e.g., with complex legal and political and religious organizations)
"the people slowly progressed from barbarism to civilization"
the social process whereby societies achieve an advanced stage of development and organization
culture, civilization, civilisation(noun)
a particular society at a particular time and place
"early Mayan civilization"
refinement, civilization, civilisation(noun)
the quality of excellence in thought and manners and taste
"a man of intellectual refinement"; "he is remembered for his generosity and civilization"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Civilization applies to nations, denoting the sum of those civil, social, economic, and political attainments by which a community is removed from barbarism; a people may be civilized while still far from refinement or culture, but civilization is susceptible of various degrees and of continued progress. Refinement applies either to nations or individuals, denoting the removal of what is coarse and rude, and a corresponding attainment of what is delicate, elegant, and beautiful. Cultivation, denoting primarily the process of cultivating the soil or growing crops, then the improved condition of either which is the result, is applied in similar sense to the human mind and character, but in this usage is now largely superseded by the term culture, which denotes a high development of the best qualities of man's mental and spiritual nature, with especial reference to the esthetic faculties and to graces of speech and manner, regarded as the expression of a refined nature. Culture in the fullest sense denotes that degree of refinement and development which results from continued cultivation through successive generations; a man's faculties may be brought to a high degree of cultivation in some specialty, while he himself remains uncultured even to the extent of coarseness and rudeness. Compare HUMANE; POLITE.
Translations for civilization
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- حضارة, حArabic
- civilisation, kultur, civiliseringDanish
- Kultur, Zivilisation, ZivilisiertwerdenGerman
- sivilisaatio, sivistyä, sivistynyt, sivistys, sivistyneiyys, kulttuuri, sivistää, yhteiskuntaFinnish
- civiltà, civilizzazioneItalian
- 文明化, 文明Japanese
- 문명화, 문화, 교양인Korean
- whakapuāwaitanga, puāwaitangaMāori
- civilisatie, bewoonde wereld, beschavingDutch
- civilitate, civilizare, civilizație, culturăRomanian
- культура, цивилизация, цивилизованностьRussian
- civilìzīranōst, цивилизација, civilizácija, цивилизираностSerbo-Croatian
- civilisation, civilisering, kulturSwedish
- sivilleşme, insanlık, uygarlık, medeniyet, uygarlaşma, medenîleşme, ekinçTurkish
Get even more translations for civilization »
Find a translation for the civilization synonym in other languages:
Select another language: