an institution created to conduct business
"he only invests in large well-established companies"; "he started the company in his garage"
small military unit; usually two or three platoons
company, companionship, fellowship, society(noun)
the state of being with someone
"he missed their company"; "he enjoyed the society of his friends"
organization of performers and associated personnel (especially theatrical)
"the traveling company all stayed at the same hotel"
a social or business visitor
"the room was a mess because he hadn't expected company"
a social gathering of guests or companions
"the house was filled with company when I arrived"
a band of people associated temporarily in some activity
"they organized a party to search for food"; "the company of cooks walked into the kitchen"
ship's company, company(noun)
crew of a ship including the officers; the whole force or personnel of a ship
a unit of firefighters including their equipment
"a hook-and-ladder company"
company, companion, accompany, keep company(verb)
be a companion to somebody
company(noun)To accompany, keep company with.
company(noun)An entity that manufactures or sells products (also known as goods), or provides services as a commercial venture. A corporation.
company(noun)Any business, without respect to incorporation.
company(noun)A unit of approximately sixty to one hundred and twenty soldiers, typically consisting of two or three platoons and forming part of a battalion.
company(noun)A unit of firefighters and their equipment.
company(noun)The entire crew of a ship.
company(noun)Nickname for an intelligence service.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Company, from the Latin cum, with, and panis, bread, denotes primarily the association of those who eat at a common table, or the persons so associated, table-companions, messmates, friends, and hence is widely extended to include any association of those united permanently or temporarily, for business, pleasure, festivity, travel, etc., or by sorrow, misfortune, or wrong; company may denote an indefinite number (ordinarily more than two), but less than a multitude; in the military sense a company is a limited and definite number of men; company implies more unity of feeling and purpose than crowd, and is a less formal and more familiar word than assemblage or assembly. An assemblage may be of persons or of objects; an assembly is always of persons. An assemblage is promiscuous and unorganized; an assembly is organized and united in some common purpose. A conclave is a secret assembly. A convocation is an assembly called by authority for a special purpose; the term convention suggests less dependence upon any superior authority or summons. A group is small in number and distinct in outline, clearly marked off from all else in space or time. Collection, crowd, gathering, group, and multitude have the unorganized and promiscuous character of the assemblage; the other terms come under the general idea of assembly. Congregation is now almost exclusively religious; meeting is often so used, but is less restricted, as we may speak of a meeting of armed men. Gathering refers to a coming together, commonly of numbers, from far and near; as, the gathering of the Scottish clans.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
List of paraphrases:
corporation, undertaking, enterprise, companies, society, compagnie, firm, business, société, corporations, corporate, enterprises, corp., venture, societies, companhia, vennootschap, 'entreprise, empresa, endeavour, airline, companionship, aktiengesellschaft, compañía, undertaken, entreprise, co., spółki, yit, corp, businesses, firms, troupe, koc, agrocomplect, undertakings, companion
Translations for company
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- maatskappy, besoek, besoekers, geselskapAfrikaans
- фі́рма, кампа́ніяBelarusian
- о́бщество, ро́та, гост, компа́ния, корпора́ция, фи́рмаBulgarian
- companyiaCatalan, Valencian
- společnost, rotaCzech
- Gesellschaft, Unternehmen, Kompanie, FirmaGerman
- εταιρία, συντροφιά, φιλία, λόχος, παρέα, εταιρεία, συντροφικότηταGreek
- empresa, compañíaSpanish
- کمپانی, شرکتPersian
- palokunta, liike, yhtiö, ryhmä, komppania, kumppanuus, yritys, vieraatFinnish
- entreprise, compagnie, firme, sociétéFrench
- cumann, comhlachtIrish
- companaidh, cuideachdScottish Gaelic
- פלוגה, חברהHebrew
- कंपनी, समवायHindi
- perusahaan, kompiIndonesian
- 消防隊, 企業, 中隊, 会社, 仲間, 訪問者Japanese
- კომპანია, ფირმაGeorgian
- 회사, 會社Korean
- pargîdanî, şirîke, fîrma, şirket, kompanyaKurdish
- kompanija, bendrovėLithuanian
- kompānija, sabiedrībaLatvian
- дру́штво, фи́рма, претприја́тие, компа́нија, дру́жинаMacedonian
- teman, kompeni, syarikatMalay
- bedrijf, gezelschap, bezoek, firma, bezoekers, zaakDutch
- selskapNorwegian Nynorsk
- kompania, przedsiębiorstwo, firmaPolish
- empresa, companhia, visitaPortuguese
- companie, firmă, societate, întreprindereRomanian
- о́бщество, предприя́тие, гость, фи́рма, ро́та, корпора́ция, компа́ния, това́риществоRussian
- kompanija, компанија, tvrtka, твртка, društvo, poduzeće, подузећеSerbo-Croatian
- කොම්පැනියSinhala, Sinhalese
- bolag, företag, sällskap, verksamhet, firmaSwedish
- işletme, dernek, dernekçiTurkish
- شىركەتUyghur, Uighur
- товари́ство, ла́нка, компа́нія, сотня, фі́рма, ді́лоUkrainian
- کمپنی, کمپنی کےUrdu
- 公司, công tyVietnamese
Get even more translations for company »
Find a translation for the company synonym in other languages:
Select another language: