comparison, compare, equivalence, comparability(verb)
qualities that are comparable
"no comparison between the two books"; "beyond compare"
examine and note the similarities or differences of
"John compared his haircut to his friend's"; "We compared notes after we had both seen the movie"
"This car does not compare with our line of Mercedes"
compare, liken, equate(verb)
consider or describe as similar, equal, or analogous
"We can compare the Han dynasty to the Romans"; "You cannot equate success in financial matters with greed"
to form the comparative or superlative form on an adjective or adverb
English Synonyms and Antonyms
To compare (Latin con, together, and par, equal) is to place together in order to show likeness or unlikeness; to contrast (Latin contra, against, and sto, stand) is to set in opposition in order to show unlikeness. We contrast objects that have been already compared. We must compare them, at least momentarily, even to know that they are different. We contrast them when we observe their unlikeness in a general way; we differentiate them when we note the difference exactly and point by point. We distinguish objects when we note a difference that may fall short of contrast; we discriminate them when we classify or place them according to their differences.
We contrast one object with another.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
List of paraphrases:
Comparison Of Measurements of Platelet Aggregation with Aggrastat, ReoPro, & Eptifibatide
Translations for compare
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- параўно́ўваць, параўна́цьBelarusian
- спрягам, сравня́вам, сравнявам се, сравня́Bulgarian
- stupňovat, srovnávat, být, porovnat, porovnávat, srovnat, srovnatelnýCzech
- bøje, sammenligne, stemme overensDanish
- übereinstimmen, vergleichen, steigernGerman
- مقایسه کردنPersian
- verrata, vertaillaFinnish
- coimeas, dèan coimeas airScottish Gaelic
- 比較, 比べるJapanese
- 비교하다, 비유하다Korean
- сра́внува, спо́реди, споредува, споре́дуваMacedonian
- vergelijken, overeenstemmenDutch
- stopniować, porównywać, porównaćPolish
- сра́вниваться, сравни́ть, сра́внивать, сравни́тьсяRussian
- упоредити, porediti, uporediti, поредитиSerbo-Croatian
- porovnať, porovnávaťSlovak
- primerjati, primeritiSlovene
- komparera, jämföraSwedish
- муқиёс кардан, муқоиса карданTajik
- порі́внювати, порівня́тиUkrainian
- so sánhVietnamese
Get even more translations for compare »
Find a translation for the compare synonym in other languages:
Select another language: