oppose, as in hostility or a competition
"You must confront your opponent"; "Jackson faced Smith in the boxing ring"; "The two enemies finally confronted each other"
confront, face up, face(verb)
deal with (something unpleasant) head on
"You must confront your problems"; "He faced the terrible consequences of his mistakes"
confront, face, present(verb)
present somebody with something, usually to accuse or criticize
"We confronted him with the evidence"; "He was faced with all the evidence and could no longer deny his actions"; "An enormous dilemma faces us"
be face to face with
"The child screamed when he confronted the man in the Halloween costume"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
To abide is to remain continuously without limit of time unless expressed by the context: "to-day I must abide at thy house," Luke xix, 5; "a settled place for thee to abide in forever," 1 Kings viii, 13; "Abide with me! fast falls the eventide,"
LyteHymn. Lodge, sojourn, stay, tarry, and wait always imply a limited time; lodge, to pass the night; sojourn, to remain temporarily; live, dwell, reside, to have a permanent home. Stop, in the sense of stay or sojourn, is colloquial, and not in approved use. Compare ENDURE; REST.
Abide in a place, for a time, with a person, by a statement.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for confront
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- изправям се пред, съпоставям, противостоя, стоя срещу, имам работа сBulgarian
- konfrontieren, gegenüberstellen, stellen, entgegentreten, begegnen, gegenübertreten, SacheGerman
- enfrentar, confrontarSpanish
- روبرو شدن باPersian
- confronter, affronterFrench
- सामना करनाHindi
- confrontare, affrontareItalian
- confronteren, vergelijken, tegenover stellenDutch
- enfrentar, confrontarPortuguese
- [[име́ть]] [[де́ло]] (с), сопоста́вить, противостоя́ть, противопоставля́ть, столкну́ться, противопоста́вить, ста́лкиваться, сопоставля́ть, противостоятьRussian
- ballafaqoj, përballojAlbanian
- yüzleştirmek, karşılaştırmak, karşı koymak, karşısına çıkmakTurkish
- Đối đầuVietnamese
Get even more translations for confront »
Find a translation for the confront synonym in other languages:
Select another language: