"they kept in daily contact"; "they claimed that they had been in contact with extraterrestrial beings"
contact, physical contact(noun)
the act of touching physically
"her fingers came in contact with the light switch"
the state or condition of touching or of being in immediate proximity
"litmus paper turns red on contact with an acid"
contact, impinging, striking(noun)
the physical coming together of two or more things
"contact with the pier scraped paint from the hull"
a person who is in a position to give you special assistance
"he used his business contacts to get an introduction to the governor"
liaison, link, contact, inter-group communication(noun)
a channel for communication between groups
"he provided a liaison with the guerrillas"
inter-group communication, affair, impinging, touch, amour, tangency, physical contact, linkup, connexion, tie, affaire, tie-in, nexus, liaison, data link, middleman, radio link, involvement, connectedness, contact lens, striking, link, connection, intimacy, contact
(electronics) a junction where things (as two electrical conductors) touch or are in physical contact
"they forget to solder the contacts"
a communicative interaction
"the pilot made contact with the base"; "he got in touch with his colleagues"
jot, soupcon, cutaneous senses, touch sensation, touch, touch modality, tangency, touching, hint, physical contact, ghost, sense of touch, skin senses, striking, inter-group communication, liaison, trace, feeling, pinch, contact lens, link, impinging, mite, middleman, tinge, tactual sensation, speck, spot, tactile sensation, contact, signature
contact, contact lens(verb)
a thin curved glass or plastic lens designed to fit over the cornea in order to correct vision or to deliver medication
reach, get through, get hold of, contact(verb)
be in or establish communication with
"Our advertisements reach millions"; "He never contacted his children after he emigrated to Australia"
adjoin, touch, attain, seize, strive, progress to, wrap up, come through, hit, arrive at, pass on, make, finish up, reach, take, meet, get hold of, finish off, get to, polish off, penetrate, gain, mop up, fall into place, give, come home, while away, achieve, pass, clutch, dawn, click, clear up, turn over, sink in, accomplish, contact, reach out, strain, get across, extend to, get through, hand
touch, adjoin, meet, contact(verb)
be in direct physical contact with; make contact
"The two buildings touch"; "Their hands touched"; "The wire must not contact the metal cover"; "The surfaces contact at this point"
adjoin, conform to, touch, butt against, come across, butt, foregather, rival, fulfil, fulfill, pertain, satisfy, match, concern, impact, stir, tinge, refer, meet, have-to doe with, abut, edge, get hold of, converge, get together, run across, receive, border, forgather, fit, encounter, get through, butt on, affect, gather, take on, run into, cope with, fill, play, relate, touch on, equal, tinct, bear on, suffer, allude, bear upon, reach, contact, come to, advert, march, assemble, partake, extend to, see, disturb, tint
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Collision, the act or fact of striking violently together, is the result of motion or action, and is sudden and momentary; contact may be a condition of rest, and be continuous and permanent; collision is sudden and violent contact. Concussion is often by transmitted force rather than by direct impact; two railway-trains come into collision; an explosion of dynamite shatters neighboring windows by concussion. Impact is the blow given by the striking body; as, the impact of the cannon-shot upon the target. An encounter is always violent, and generally hostile. Meeting is neutral, and may be of the dearest friends or of the bitterest foes; of objects, of persons, or of opinions; of two or of a multitude. Shock is the result of collision. In the figurative use, we speak of clashing of views, collision of persons. Opposition is used chiefly of persons, more rarely of opinions or interests; conflict is used indifferently of all.
Collision of one object with another; of or between opposing objects.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for contact
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ملامسه, إتصالArabic
- свързвам се, допир, контактна леща, контакт, допирам се, докосвам, свързванеBulgarian
- dotek, kontakt, čočka, kontaktovat, spojeníCzech
- kontakte, forbindelse, kontaktDanish
- kontaktieren, Kontakt, Verbindung, Berührung, Kontaktlinse, berührenGerman
- επαφή, σύνδεσμος, επικοινωνίαGreek
- مخاطب, لمس, لمس کردن, تماس, تماس گرفتنPersian
- kontakti, yhteys, kosketus, yhteyshenkilö, koskea, liitin, ottaa yhteyttä, yhteydenotto, piilolinssi, ottaa yhteysFinnish
- connaissance, contact, contacter, lentille, toucherFrench
- יצר קשרHebrew
- kontaktlencse, kapcsolattartó, kapcsolatHungarian
- hafa samband, samband, tengiliður, snertingIcelandic
- contatto, contattareItalian
- 連絡, 連絡する, 端子, 連絡先, 接続する, お問い合わせ, 接触, 接触する, コンタクト, 接点Japanese
- Kontakt, beréieren, kontaktéieren, KontaktlënsLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- contact, aanraken, contacterenDutch
- szkło kontaktowe, kontakt, skontaktować (się), kontaktować (się)Polish
- contacto, contato, tanger, contactar, [[entrar em]] [[contato]], tocar, lente de contato, contatarPortuguese
- legătură, contact, contacta, atingereRomanian
- связываться, связь, связаться, связной, контакт, контактироватьRussian
- höra av sig, kontakt, kontaktaSwedish
- தொடர்பு, தொடல்Tamil
- ముట్టుకొను, తాకు, అంటుకొను, సంపర్కించుTelugu
- kontagalentül, kontagVolapük
Get even more translations for contact »
Find a translation for the contact synonym in other languages:
Select another language: