convict, con, inmate, yard bird, yardbird(noun)
a person serving a sentence in a jail or prison
a person who has been convicted of a criminal offense
find or declare guilty
English Synonyms and Antonyms
To condemn is to pass judicial sentence or render judgment or decision against. We may censure silently; we condemn ordinarily by open and formal utterance. Condemn is more final than blame or censure; a condemned criminal has had his trial; a condemned building can not stand; a condemned ship can not sail. A person is convicted when his guilt is made clearly manifest to others; in somewhat archaic use, a person is said to be convicted when guilt is brought clearly home to his own conscience (convict in this sense being allied with convince, which see under PERSUADE); in legal usage one is said to be convicted only by the verdict of a jury. In stating the penalty of an offense, the legal word sentence is now more common than condemn; as, he was sentenced to imprisonment; but it is good usage to say, he was condemned to imprisonment. To denounce is to make public or official declaration against, especially in a violent and threatening manner.
From the pulpits in the northern States Burr was denounced as an assassin.
CoffinBuilding the Nation ch. 10, p. 137. [ Harper & Bros.'83.]
To doom is to condemn solemnly and consign to evil or destruction or to predetermine to an evil destiny; an inferior race in presence of a superior is doomed to subjugation or extinction. Compare ARRAIGN; REPROVE.
The bandit was condemned to death for his crime.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for convict
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- مدان, سجينArabic
- осъждам, каторжник, признавам за виновен, осъденBulgarian
- odsouzený, odsoudit, usvědčitCzech
- Sträfling, verurteilenGerman
- rangaistusvanki, tuomittu, tuomita, vankiFinnish
- reconnaître coupableFrench
- condannare, carcerato, deportato, condannatoItalian
- 犯罪者, 受刑者, 囚人Japanese
- nuteistasis, nuteisti, nuteistoji, pripažinti kaltuLithuanian
- veroordelen, vonnissen, veroordeelde, strafkolonistDutch
- skazywać, skazać, skazaniecPolish
- condenar, condenadoPortuguese
- зэк, осуждённый, осуждать, з/к, заключённый, каторжник, осудитьRussian
Get even more translations for convict »
Find a translation for the convict synonym in other languages:
Select another language: