strengthen, beef up, fortify(verb)
make strong or stronger
tone, tone up, strengthen(verb)
give a healthy elasticity to
strengthen(verb)To make strong or stronger; to add strength to; to increase the strength of; to fortify; to reinforce.
strengthen(verb)To animate; to give moral strength to; to encourage; to fix in resolution; to hearten.
strengthen(verb)To augment; to improve; to intensify.
strengthen(verb)To grow strong or stronger.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Confirm (Latin con, together, and firmus, firm) is to add firmness or give stability to. Both confirm and corroborate presuppose something already existing to which the confirmation or corroboration is added. Testimony is corroborated by concurrent testimony or by circumstances; confirmed by established facts. That which is thoroughly proved is said to be established; so is that which is official and has adequate power behind it; as, the established government; the established church. The continents are fixed. A treaty is ratified; an appointment confirmed. An act is sanctioned by any person or authority that passes upon it approvingly. A statement is substantiated; a report confirmed; a controversy settled; the decision of a lower court sustained by a higher. Just government should be upheld. The beneficent results of Christianity confirm our faith in it as a divine revelation.
Confirm a statement by testimony; confirm a person in a belief.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
List of paraphrases:
strengthening, reinforce, enhance, strengthened, consolidate, enhancing, intensify, reinforcing, bolster, increase, enhanced, build, improve, enhancement, boost, reinforcement, reinforced, promote, consolidating, solidify, deepen, fortify, tighten, redouble, building, strengthens, promoting, promotion, intensified, intensifying, foster, improving, increasing, renforcer, stronger, augment
Translations for strengthen
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- stärken, bestärken, verstärkenGerman
- fortalecer, animarSpanish
- voimistaa, innostaa, voimistua, vahvistua, vahvistaaFinnish
- renforcer, raffermir, fortifier, affermirFrench
- megerősít, megerősödikHungarian
- զորացնել, ուժեղացնելArmenian
- rinforzarsi, rinforzareItalian
- 強い, 強めるJapanese
- argo, firmor, firmo, animo, corrōborōLatin
- tot leven wekken, versterken, kracht geven, bezielenDutch
- wzmacniać, stawać się coraz silniejszymPolish
- fortalecer, reforçarPortuguese
- усилить, усиливатьRussian
- ojàčati, оја̀чати, potàknuti, osokòlitiSerbo-Croatian
- förstärka, stärkaSwedish
Get even more translations for strengthen »
Find a translation for the strengthen synonym in other languages:
Select another language: