an exchange of ideas via conversation
"let's have more work and less talk around here"
discussion; (`talk about' is a less formal alternative for `discussion of')
"his poetry contains much talk about love and anger"
the act of giving a talk to an audience
"I attended an interesting talk on local history"
lecture, public lecture, talk(noun)
a speech that is open to the public
"he attended a lecture on telecommunications"
talk, talk of the town(verb)
idle gossip or rumor
"there has been talk about you lately"
exchange thoughts; talk with
"We often talk business"; "Actions talk louder than words"
talk, speak, utter, mouth, verbalize, verbalise(verb)
express in speech
"She talks a lot of nonsense"; "This depressed patient does not verbalize"
let loose, talk, express, peach, address, verbalise, give tongue to, tattle, babble out, babble, let out, emit, blab, lecture, spill the beans, speak, verbalize, utter, blab out, sing, spill, mouth, let the cat out of the bag
"the baby talks already"; "the prisoner won't speak"; "they speak a strange dialect"
"If you don't oblige me, I'll talk!"; "The former employee spilled all the details"
babble, peach, pour forth, talk, tattle, splatter, babble out, disgorge, blab, run out, sing, lecture, spill the beans, speak, verbalize, utter, blab out, verbalise, spill, slop, shed, mouth, let the cat out of the bag
spill the beans, let the cat out of the bag, talk, tattle, blab, peach, babble, sing, babble out, blab out(verb)
divulge confidential information or secrets
"Be careful--his secretary talks"
verbalize, whistle, babble, twaddle, verbalise, prattle, spill, ripple, palaver, peach, tittle-tattle, maunder, utter, blather, smatter, tattle, gurgle, mouth, bubble, blab out, burble, blether, gibber, blab, talk, let the cat out of the bag, speak, guggle, blither, babble out, sing, prate, spill the beans, piffle, chatter, lecture, gabble, blabber, clack
deliver a lecture or talk
"She will talk at Rutgers next week"; "Did you ever lecture at Harvard?"
bawl out, verbalize, lambast, babble, verbalise, take to task, spill, reproof, jaw, reprimand, rebuke, utter, chew out, chide, peach, tattle, lambaste, mouth, trounce, blab out, berate, have words, chew up, call down, blab, talk, let the cat out of the bag, dress down, speak, scold, remonstrate, rag, babble out, sing, spill the beans, call on the carpet, lecture
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Conversation (Latin con, with) is, etymologically, an interchange of ideas with some other person or persons. Talk may be wholly one-sided. Many brilliant talkers have been incapable of conversation. There may be intercourse without conversation, as by looks, signs, etc.; communion is of hearts, with or without words; communication is often by writing, and may be uninvited and unreciprocated. Talk may denote the mere utterance of words with little thought; thus, we say idle talk, empty talk, rather than idle or empty conversation. Discourse is now applied chiefly to public addresses. A conference is more formal than a conversation. Dialog denotes ordinarily an artificial or imaginary conversation, generally of two persons, but sometimes of more. A colloquy is indefinite as to number, and generally somewhat informal. Compare BEHAVIOR.
Conversation with friends; between or among the guests; about a matter.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for talk
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- تكلم, خطاب, محادثة, تحدث, محاضرةArabic
- размаўляць, гаварыцьBelarusian
- беседа, разговор, говоряBulgarian
- parlar, conversarCatalan, Valencian
- foredrag, drøftelse, snakke, fortælle, samtale, tale, forelæsning, snakDanish
- sprechen, Vortrag, Gespräch, redenGerman
- θέμα, συνομιλώ, διάλεξη, συζήτηση, επικοινωνώ, μιλώGreek
- conversación, hablar, conferencia, conversarSpanish
- سخنرانی, گفت و گو, سخن گفتن, صحبت, صحبت کردنPersian
- puheenaihe, puhua, esitelmä, viestiä, keskusteluFinnish
- conversation, parler, discussion, bavarder, discours, conférenceFrench
- petearWestern Frisian
- aighneas, caintIrish
- seanchas, còmhradhScottish Gaelic
- बात करना, बोलनाHindi
- beszélget, beszéd, beszél, beszélgetésHungarian
- զրուցել, խոսելArmenian
- conversar, parlarInterlingua
- bincang, ngomong, bicaraIndonesian
- mæla, tala, ávarpaIcelandic
- conversazione, parlare, discorso, argomentoItalian
- 意思疎通する, 話し, 会話, 話す, 講義Japanese
- 이야기하다, 이야기, 대화하다, 말하다, 대화Korean
- دواندن, قسه ئهکات, قسه, ئهدوێنێتKurdish
- kōwetewete, motatau, kōreroMāori
- gesprek, overleggen, praten, conversatie, sprekenDutch
- snakk, samtale, snakke, forelesning, foredrag, prat, prekeNorwegian
- temat, rozmowa, mówićPolish
- conversar, conversa, falar, discursoPortuguese
- rimay, rimachiy, yawnayQuechua
- разговор, болтать, разговаривать, история, лекция, беседовать, рассказ, нотация, говорить, беседаRussian
- rȁzgovōr, го̏во̄р, govòriti, predávānje, konverzácija, гово̀рити, преда́ва̄ње, gȍvōr, конверза́ција, ра̏згово̄рSerbo-Croatian
- tala, prat, konversation, prata, snacka, föreläsningSwedish
- Sol, PaesuTamil
- చర్చనీయాంశం, ప్రసంగం, కబుర్లు, మాట్లాడుTelugu
- สนทนา, พูด, กล่าว, คุยThai
- говорити, розмовлятиUkrainian
- بولنا, بات کرناUrdu
- nói chuyện, nói được, nóiVietnamese
Get even more translations for talk »
Find a translation for the talk synonym in other languages:
Select another language: