bowed stringed instrument that is the highest member of the violin family; this instrument has four strings and a hollow body and an unfretted fingerboard and is played with a bow
fiddle, shirk, shrink from, goldbrick(verb)
avoid (one's assigned duties)
"The derelict soldier shirked his duties"
commit fraud and steal from one's employer
"We found out that she had been fiddling for years"
play the violin or fiddle
play on a violin
"Zuckerman fiddled that song very nicely"
toy, fiddle, diddle, play(verb)
manipulate manually or in one's mind or imagination
"She played nervously with her wedding ring"; "Don't fiddle with the screws"; "He played with the idea of running for the Senate"
rook, swindle, fiddle, bet, spiel, act, victimize, bring, gip, shirk, goldbrick, tamper, wager, run, con, flirt, trifle, diddle, monkey, meet, tinker, gyp, roleplay, dally, act as, toy, playact, encounter, make for, defraud, hornswoggle, play, represent, nobble, bunco, short-change, recreate, work, take on, scam, wreak, mulct, shrink from
tamper, fiddle, monkey(verb)
play around with or alter or falsify, usually secretively or dishonestly
"Someone tampered with the documents on my desk"; "The reporter fiddle with the facts"
try to fix or mend
"Can you tinker with the T.V. set--it's not working right"; "She always fiddles with her van on the weekend"
fiddle(noun)Any of various bowed string instruments, often used to refer to a violin when played in any of various traditional styles, as opposed to classical violin.
fiddle(noun)To adjust in order to cover a basic flaw or fraud etc.
fiddle(noun)To play traditional tunes on a violin in a non-classical style.
fiddle(noun)On board a ship or boat, a rail or batten around the edge of a table or stove to prevent objects falling off at sea. (Also fiddle rail)
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for Fiddle
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- цигулка, измамаBulgarian
- marnit, šumařitCzech
- Geige, fummeln, Violine, krummes Ding, Schiffsgeländer, Fidel, FiedelGerman
- estafa, ajuste, chanchullo, arreglo, tejemaneje, petardo, timo, engaño, violín, engañifa, amañarSpanish
- vilunki, reunalista, viulu, koheltaa, vinguttaa, haaskata, soittaa, viilata, näpelöidä, viritys, temppuFinnish
- crincrin, réglage, traficoter, bidouiller, violon, cote mal taillée, tripoter, ajustement, truc, adaptation, expédient, tour de passe-passe, tripotageFrench
- fìdheallScottish Gaelic
- hegedű, hegedülHungarian
- trucco, viola, marchingegno, violino, truffa, frode, stratagemma, parapettoItalian
- フィドル, いじり回すJapanese
- rāwekeweke, raukotiMāori
- viool, vedel, fiedelenDutch
- oszustwo, skrzypcePolish
- rabeca, ajuste, falcatrua, violino, logro, vadiar, ajeitar, fraudePortuguese
- надувательство, возиться, химичить, [[тратить]] [[время]] [[попусту]], мошенничество, мять, скрипка, трюк, теребитьRussian
Get even more translations for Fiddle »
Find a translation for the Fiddle synonym in other languages:
Select another language: