any address at which you dwell more than temporarily
"a person can have several residences"
dwelling, home, domicile, abode, habitation, dwelling house(noun)
housing that someone is living in
"he built a modest dwelling near the pond"; "they raise money to provide homes for the homeless"
rest home, legal residence, domicile, dwelling, home base, inhabitation, place, dwelling house, base, abode, home, home plate, family, inhabitancy, house, habitation, residence, plate, nursing home, menage, household
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Abode, dwelling, and habitation are used with little difference of meaning to denote the place where one habitually lives; abode and habitation belong to the poetic or elevated style. Even dwelling is not used in familiar speech; a person says "my house," "my home," or more formally "my residence." Home, from the Anglo-Saxon, denoting originally a dwelling, came to mean an endeared dwelling as the scene of domestic love and happy and cherished family life, a sense to which there is an increasing tendency to restrict the word — desirably so, since we have other words to denote the mere dwelling-place; we say "The wretched tenement could not be called home," or "The humble cabin was dear to him as the home of his childhood."Home's not merely four square walls,
Tho with pictures hung and gilded;
Home is where affection calls —
Where its shrine the heart has builded.
Thus the word comes to signify any place of rest and peace, and especially heaven, as the soul's peaceful and eternal dwelling-place.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for abode
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- بقاء, إقامة, مسكنArabic
- местопребиваване, жилищеBulgarian
- Bleibe, Wohnung, Verweilen, Warten, Aufenthalt, WohnsitzGerman
- residencia, morada, viviendaSpanish
- asunto, viivytys, oleskeluFinnish
- còmhnaidhScottish Gaelic
- soggiorno, domicilio, dimora, residenzaItalian
- wachten, voorteken, woonstee, verblijf, onderkomenDutch
- siedziba, miejsce zamieszkania, mieszkaniePolish
- vaticínio, domicílio, espera, augúrio, atraso, agouro, permanência, presságio, residência, moradia, casaPortuguese
- обиталище, обитель, промедление, пребывание, жилище, задержка, Russian
- obitavalište, nastanSerbo-Croatian
- boning, hemvist, vistelseSwedish
Get even more translations for abode »
Find a translation for the abode synonym in other languages:
Select another language: