not being in a specified place
lacking, absent, missing, wanting(adj)
"the thumb is absent"; "her appetite was lacking"
absent, absentminded, abstracted, scatty(verb)
lost in thought; showing preoccupation
"an absent stare"; "an absentminded professor"; "the scatty glancing quality of a hyperactive but unfocused intelligence"
go away or leave
"He absented himself"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
As regards mental action, absorbed, abstracted, and preoccupied refer to the cause, absent or absent-minded to the effect. The man absorbed in one thing will appear absent in others. A preoccupied person may seem listless and thoughtless, but the really listless and thoughtless have not mental energy to be preoccupied. The absent-minded man is oblivious of ordinary matters, because his thoughts are elsewhere. One who is preoccupied is intensely busy in thought; one may be absent-minded either through intense concentration or simply through inattention, with fitful and aimless wandering of thought. Compare ABSTRACT.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for absent
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- адсутны, адсутнічацьBelarusian
- отсъстващ, несъществуващ, отсъствамBulgarian
- absentCatalan, Valencian
- abwesend, fehlen, fernbleibenGerman
- ανύπαρκτος, απών, απουσιάζω, αφηρημένοςGreek
- ausente, ausentarse, distraídoSpanish
- absent, absenterFrench
- բացակա, անջատվածArmenian
- 欠席, いない, 持つ, 無いJapanese
- amens, absens, absumLatin
- ngaro, kaitu, takēMāori
- absen, pergiMalay
- uitgezonderd, afwezig, zonder, weg, vertrekken, behalve, zijn, verwijderen, verstrooidDutch
- de, ausente, inexistente, ausência, na, ausentarPortuguese
- neatent, neprezent, neexistent, absent, inexistentă, inexistent, absentă, distratRomanian
- отсутствующий, отсутствоватьRussian
- lơ đãng, vắng mặtVietnamese
Get even more translations for absent »
Find a translation for the absent synonym in other languages:
Select another language: