addition, add-on, improver(noun)
a component that is added to something to improve it
"the addition of a bathroom was a major improvement"; "the addition of cinnamon improved the flavor"
the act of adding one thing to another
"the addition of flowers created a pleasing effect"; "the addition of a leap day every four years"
addition, increase, gain(noun)
a quantity that is added
"there was an addition to property taxes this year"; "they recorded the cattle's gain in weight over a period of weeks"
something added to what you already have
"the librarian shelved the new accessions"; "he was a new addition to the staff"
a suburban area laid out in streets and lots for a future residential area
summation, addition, plus(noun)
the arithmetic operation of summing; calculating the sum of two or more numbers
"the summation of four and three gives seven"; "four plus three equals seven"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
An adjunct (something joined to) constitutes no real part of the thing or system to which it is joined, tho perhaps a valuable addition; an appendage is commonly a real, tho not an essential or necessary part of that with which it is connected; an appurtenance belongs subordinately to something by which it is employed, especially as an instrument to accomplish some purpose. A horse's tail is at once an ornamental appendage and a useful appurtenance; we could not call it an adjunct, tho we might use that word of his iron shoes. An attachment in machinery is some mechanism that can be brought into optional connection with the principal movement; a hemmer is a valuable attachment of a sewing-machine. An extension, as of a railroad or of a franchise, carries out further something already existing. We add an appendix to a book, to contain names, dates, lists, etc., which would encumber the text; we add a supplement to supply omissions, as, for instance, to bring it up to date. An appendix may be called an addendum; but addendum may be used of a brief note, which would not be dignified by the name of appendix; such notes are often grouped as addenda. An addition might be matter interwoven in the body of the work, an index, plates, editorial notes, etc., which might be valuable additions, but not within the meaning of appendix or supplement. Compare ACCESSORY; AUXILIARY.
That which is thought of as added we call an appendage to; that which is looked upon as an integral part is called an appendage of.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for addition
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- прибавяне, прибавка, добавка, събиранеBulgarian
- sammadur, sammadennBreton
- addicióCatalan, Valencian
- sčítání, přídavekCzech
- Addition, Zusatz, Hinzufügung, ZufügungGerman
- suma, adición, añadiduraSpanish
- yhteenlasku, lisäysFinnish
- addition, ajoutFrench
- הוספה, חיבור, תוספת, צירוףHebrew
- इसके अलावाHindi
- հավելում, գումարումArmenian
- viðbót, samlagningIcelandic
- addizione, aggiuntaItalian
- 添加, 足し算, 付加, 建て増し, 追加Japanese
- 추가, 부가물, 부가, 더하기, 가산, 가미, 덧셈, 추가분, Korean
- кошумчалоо, кошууKyrgyz
- priedas, sudėtisLithuanian
- saskaitīšana, pielikumsLatvian
- għadd, żjieda, żied, għadd kolloxMaltese
- toevoeging, optellen, sommeren, sommering, optellingDutch
- tilføyeNorwegian Nynorsk
- pluss, addisjon, tilleggNorwegian
- ଯୋଗ, ମିଶାଣOriya
- dodawanie, dodatekPolish
- acréscimo, adiçãoPortuguese
- adaos, adunare, adăugireRomanian
- сложение, прибавлениеRussian
- придодавање, pridodavanje, pridodatak, sabiranje, dodavanje, dodatak, сабирање, придодатак, додавање, додатакSerbo-Croatian
- చేర్పు, కూడికTelugu
Get even more translations for addition »
Find a translation for the addition synonym in other languages:
Select another language: