having the requisite qualities or resources to meet a task
"she had adequate training"; "her training was adequate"; "she was adequate to the job"; "he was equal to the task"
adequate, decent, enough(adj)
sufficient for the purpose
"an adequate income"; "the food was adequate"; "a decent wage"; "enough food"; "food enough"
adequate, passable, fair to middling, tolerable(adj)
about average; acceptable
"more than adequate as a secretary"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Adequate, commensurate, and sufficient signify equal to some given occasion or work; as, a sum sufficient to meet expenses; an adequate remedy for the disease. Commensurate is the more precise and learned word, signifying that which exactly measures the matter in question. Adapted, fit, suitable, and qualified refer to the qualities which match or suit the occasion. A clergyman may have strength adequate to the work of a porter; but that would not be a fit or suitable occupation for him. Work is satisfactory if it satisfies those for whom it is done, though it may be very poor work judged by some higher standard. Qualified refers to acquired abilities; competent to both natural and acquired; a qualified teacher may be no longer competent, by reason of ill health. Able and capable suggest general ability and reserved power, able being the higher word of the two. An able man will do something well in any position. A capable man will come up to any ordinary demand. We say an able orator, a capable accountant.
Adequate to the demand; for the purpose.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for adequate
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- съразмерен, съответен, адекватенBulgarian
- adequatCatalan, Valencian
- adekvátní, odpovídající, přiměřenýCzech
- adäquat, angemessenGerman
- sopiva, asianmukainen, tarkoituksenmukainen, riittäväFinnish
- megfelelő, adekvátHungarian
- 適切, 適当, 十分Japanese
- atbilstošs, piederīgs, piemērotsLatvian
- адекватен, соодветенMacedonian
- deugdelijk, adequaat, voldoendeDutch
- tilstrekkelig, adekvatNorwegian
- adekwatny, odpowiedniPolish
- достаточный, адекватный, соразмерный, подходящий, соответствующийRussian
- tillämplig, adekvatSwedish
- uygun, yeterliTurkish
- đầy đủ, đủVietnamese
Get even more translations for adequate »
Find a translation for the adequate synonym in other languages:
Select another language: