a deliberately offensive act or something producing the effect of deliberate disrespect
"turning his back on me was a deliberate insult"
diss, insult, affront(verb)
treat, mention, or speak to rudely
"He insulted her with his rude remarks"; "the student who had betrayed his classmate was dissed by everyone"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
One may be annoyed by the well-meaning awkwardness of a servant, irritated by a tight shoe or a thoughtless remark, vexed at some careless neglect or needless misfortune, wounded by the ingratitude of child or friend. To tease is to give some slight and perhaps playful annoyance. Aggravate in the sense of offend is colloquial. To provoke, literally to call out or challenge, is to begin a contest; one provokes another to violence. To affront is to offer some defiant offense or indignity, as it were, to one's face; it is somewhat less than to insult. Compare PIQUE.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for affront
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- излизам насреща на, обида, оскърбление, оскърбявамBulgarian
- afrentar, ofender, afrentaSpanish
- vastustaa, loukkaus, herjata, solvaus, loukata, solvataFinnish
- duel, rencontrer sur le terrain, aller sur le pré, affront, jeter le gant, défi, envoyer un cartel, défier, rencontre, se confronterFrench
- վիրավորել, վիրավորանքArmenian
- оскорблять, оскорблениеRussian
- förolämpa, skymf, skymfa, förolämpningSwedish
Get even more translations for affront »
Find a translation for the affront synonym in other languages:
Select another language: