filled with fear or apprehension
"afraid even to turn his head"; "suddenly looked afraid"; "afraid for his life"; "afraid of snakes"; "afraid to ask questions"
filled with regret or concern; used often to soften an unpleasant statement
"I'm afraid I won't be able to come"; "he was afraid he would have to let her go"; "I'm afraid you're wrong"
feeling worry or concern or insecurity
"She was afraid that I might be embarrassed"; "terribly afraid of offending someone"; "I am afraid we have witnessed only the first phase of the conflict"
having feelings of aversion or unwillingness
"afraid of hard work"; "afraid to show emotion"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Translations for afraid
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- مرعوب, خائفArabic
- porCatalan, Valencian
- bojácný, bázlivý, vystrašenýCzech
- bedauern, ängstlich, leiderGerman
- tener miedo, temerse queSpanish
- bangin, ræddurFaroese
- eaglach, [[tá]] [[eagla]] [[orm]]Irish
- bang, bevreesdDutch
- redd, engsteligNorwegian
- obawiać sięPolish
- temer, [[ter]] [[medo]], [[estar]] [[com]] [[medo]]Portuguese
- бояться, боя́щийся, боя́ться, испу́ганныйRussian
- đáng sợVietnamese
Get even more translations for afraid »
Find a translation for the afraid synonym in other languages:
Select another language: