the statement (oral or written) of an exchange of promises
"they had an agreement that they would not interfere in each other's business"; "there was an understanding between management and the workers"
compatibility of observations
"there was no agreement between theory and measurement"; "the results of two tests were in correspondence"
harmony of people's opinions or actions or characters
"the two parties were in agreement"
the thing arranged or agreed to
"they made arrangements to meet in Chicago"
the determination of grammatical inflection on the basis of word relations
the verbal act of agreeing
agreement(noun)An understanding between entities to follow a specific course of conduct.
agreement(noun)A state whereby several parties share a view or opinion; the state of not contradicting one another.
agreement(noun)A legally binding contract enforceable in a court of law.
agreement(noun)An agreeable quality.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
All these words involve at least two parties, tho an engagement or promise may be the act of but one. A contract is a formal agreement between two or more parties for the doing or leaving undone some specified act or acts, and is ordinarily in writing. Mutual promises may have the force of a contract. A consideration, or compensation, is essential to convert an agreement into a contract. A contract may be oral or written. A covenant in law is a written contract under seal. Covenant is frequent in religious usage, as contract is in law and business. Compact is essentially the same as contract, but is applied to international agreements, treaties, etc. A bargain is a mutual agreement for an exchange of values, without the formality of a contract. A stipulation is a single item in an agreement or contract. A cartel is a military agreement for the exchange of prisoners or the like.
List of paraphrases:
accord, agreements, arrangement, deal, understanding, convention, agree, accordance, right, contract, consensus, consent, treaty, agreed, settlement, accords, concurrence, acuerdo, line, 'accord, entente, pact, approval, assent, cartel, concur, concordance, arrangements, unanimity, megállapodás, compact, bargain
Translations for agreement
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- اتفاقية, عقد, اقرارArabic
- съгласие, съглашение, съгласуване, договорBulgarian
- shoda, soulad, domluva, souhlas, dohodaCzech
- enighed, aftale, overensstemmelse, samtykkeDanish
- Einvernehmen, Kongruenz, Vereinbarung, Zustimmung, Übereinstimmung, Vertrag, EinigkeitGerman
- συνθήκη, συμφωνία, συμφωνητικόGreek
- convenio, acuerdo, contrato, concordanciaSpanish
- leping, kokkulepeEstonian
- پیمان, توافقPersian
- sopimus, yksimielisyysFinnish
- entente, pacte, accord, contratFrench
- aonta, aontachadh, còrdadhScottish Gaelic
- הסכמה, הסכםHebrew
- concordanza, consenso, accordo, patto, convenzione, contrattoItalian
- 合意, 納得, 賛成, 一致, 協定Japanese
- макулдук, тууралаштыруу, келишим, макулдашууKyrgyz
- foedus, sponsio, congruentia, pactumLatin
- whakaaetanga, kirimanaMāori
- goedkeuring, afspraak, overeenstemming, contract, overeenkomstDutch
- avtale, overensstemmelse, kongruens, samtykke, enighetNorwegian
- ałgáádeitʼááhNavajo, Navaho
- umowa, porozumienie, zgoda, związek zgodyPolish
- contrato, acordo, pacto, concordância, consensoPortuguese
- договорённость, согласие, согласование, соглашение, договорRussian
- споразум, saglasnost, sporazum, сагласностSerbo-Croatian
- dogovor, soglasje, pogodbaSlovene
- avtal, enighet, samtycke, kongruens, överensstämmelse, överenskommelseSwedish
- maagano, mkatabaSwahili
Get even more translations for agreement »
Find a translation for the agreement synonym in other languages:
Select another language: