beg, implore, pray(verb)
call upon in supplication; entreat
"I beg you to stop!"
solicit, beg, tap(verb)
make a solicitation or entreaty for something; request urgently or persistently
"Henry IV solicited the Pope for a divorce"; "My neighbor keeps soliciting money for different charities"
ask to obtain free
"beg money and food"
dodge, avoid answering, or take for granted
"beg the question"; "beg the point in the discussion"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
One asks what he feels that he may fairly claim and reasonably expect; "if a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father," Luke xi, 11; he begs for that to which he advances no claim but pity. Demand is a determined and often an arrogant word; one may rightfully demand what is his own or his due, when it is withheld or denied; or he may wrongfully demand that to which he has no claim but power. Require is less arrogant and obtrusive than demand, but is exceedingly strenuous; as, the court requires the attendance of witnesses. Entreat implies a special earnestness of asking, and beseech, a still added and more humble intensity; beseech was formerly often used as a polite intensive for beg or pray; as, I beseech you to tell me. To implore is to ask with weeping and lamentation; to supplicate is to ask, as it were, on bended knees. Crave and request are somewhat formal terms; crave has almost disappeared from conversation; request would seem distant between parent and child. Pray is now used chiefly of address to the Supreme Being; petition is used of written request to persons in authority; as, to petition the legislature to pass an act, or the governor to pardon an offender.
Ask a person for a thing; ask a thing of or from a person; ask after or about one's health, welfare, friends, etc.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for beg
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- احتمل, استجدى, تسولArabic
- умолявам, моля, бег, прося, изпросвамBulgarian
- suplicar, mendicar, pidolar, pregarCatalan, Valencian
- anflehen, bettelnGerman
- ζητιανεύω, ικετεύω, επαιτώGreek
- suplicar, mendigar, rogarSpanish
- pyytää, kärttää, anella, kerjätä, beg, anoaFinnish
- quémander, implorer, quêter, supplier, mendierFrench
- התחנן, לקבץ נדבות, לבקשHebrew
- निवेदन करनाHindi
- kéreget, könyörög, bég, koldulHungarian
- աղաչել, մուրալArmenian
- implorar, mendicarInterlingua
- mohon, minta, mengemis, minta-mintaIndonesian
- mendicare, elemosinare, pregare, implorareItalian
- 物乞い, 頼むJapanese
- მუდარა, ხვეწნაGeorgian
- mendicare, rogareLatin
- minene, mīnono, pikoni, pīnonoMāori
- smeken, bedelenDutch
- prosić, żebrać, błagaćPolish
- mendigar, suplicarPortuguese
- ruga, cerșiRomanian
- умолять, просить, побираться, попрошайничать, попроситьRussian
- prositi, zamoliti, molitiSerbo-Croatian
- tigga, bönfalla, beSwedish
- ขอทาน, ขอร้องThai
- begön, lubegönVolapük
Get even more translations for beg »
Find a translation for the beg synonym in other languages:
Select another language: