a notation cancelling a previous sharp or flat
cancel, call off, scratch, scrub(verb)
postpone indefinitely or annul something that was scheduled
"Call off the engagement"; "cancel the dinner party"; "we had to scrub our vacation plans"; "scratch that meeting--the chair is ill"
itch, call off, scrape up, expunge, fret, strike down, strike, scour, chafe, come up, invalidate, grave, delete, excise, scratch, cancel, inscribe, call, engrave, scrub, scrape, fray, offset, scrub up, set off, scratch up, rub
cancel, offset, set off(verb)
make up for
"His skills offset his opponent's superior strength"
call off, spark, bring out, set forth, blow up, actuate, strike down, take off, trigger off, spark off, trip, stir up, invalidate, detonate, delete, start, countervail, scratch, touch off, cancel, trigger, set out, depart, scrub, instigate, activate, explode, offset, part, incite, set off, start out
cancel, strike down(verb)
declare null and void; make ineffective
"Cancel the election results"; "strike down a law"
remove or make invisible
"Please delete my name from your list"
make invalid for use
"cancel cheques or tickets"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Cancel, efface, erase, expunge, and obliterate have as their first meaning the removal of written characters or other forms of record. To cancel is, literally, to make a lattice by cross-lines, exactly our English cross out; to efface is to rub off, smooth away the face, as of an inscription; to erase is to scratch out, commonly for the purpose of writing something else in the same space; to expunge, is to punch out with some sharp instrument, so as to show that the words are no longer part of the writing; to obliterate is to cover over or remove, as a letter, as was done by reversing the Roman stylus, and rubbing out with the rounded end what had been written with the point on the waxen tablet. What has been canceled, erased, expunged, may perhaps still be traced; what is obliterated is gone forever, as if it had never been. In many establishments, when a debt is discharged by payment, the record is canceled. The figurative use of the words keeps close to the primary sense. Compare ABOLISH.
abolish, abrogate, annul, blot out, cross off, cross out, discharge, efface, erase, expunge, make void, nullify, obliterate, quash, remove, repeal, rescind, revoke, rub off, rub out, scratch out, vacate
Dictionary of English Synonymes
List of paraphrases:
annul, cancellation, rescind, abort, cancelling, canceling, cancels, cancelled, revoke, nullify, quash, terminate, annulment, overturn, abolish, repeal, invalidate, abolition, waive, annuls, cancei, canceled, override, negate, reverse, countermand, overrule, undo, rescission, write-off, delete, abrogate, unassign
Translations for cancel
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ألغى, إلغاءArabic
- зачерквам, отменям, анулирам, съкращавам, задрасквамBulgarian
- zrušit, stornovat, vyrušit, škrtnout, krátit, škrtatCzech
- annullere, afbestille, stryge, forkorte, ophæve, aflyse, strege ud, stemple, aflysning, afbestilling, annullering, ophævningstegnDanish
- ausstreichen, aufheben, annullieren, auslöschen, streichen, kürzen, entwerten, abstempeln, stornierenGerman
- ακυρώνω, αντισταθμίζω, διαγράφω, ματαίωση, διαγραφή, ακύρωση, ακυρώσειGreek
- taandama, kustutama, tühistamaEstonian
- poistaa, mitätöidä, supistaa, yliviivata, kumota, peruuttaaFinnish
- mettre fin, résilier, compenser, se désabonner, éliminer, annuler, oblitérer, neutraliser, annulation, bécarreFrench
- रद्द करनाHindi
- kihúz, visszavon, töröl, egyszerűsít, megszüntetiHungarian
- filtrare, recidere, cassare, cancellare, eliminare, annullare, compensare, depennare, obliterare, neutralizzare, invalidare, cancellazione, annullamento, cassazione, spuntatoItalian
- キャンセル, 取り消すJapanese
- გადახაზვა, გაბათილება, წაშლა, გაუქმება, ანულირება, შეკვეცაGeorgian
- doorhalen, annuleren, schrappenDutch
- skrócić, odwołać, anulować, skreślićPolish
- invalidar, cancelar, neutralizar, riscar, eliminar, anular, anulaçãoPortuguese
- погаша́ть, отсе́чь, аннули́ровать, сокраща́ть, зачёркивать, сократи́ть, зачеркну́ть, погаси́ть, отменя́ть, отсека́ть, отмени́ть, бека́р, отменитьRussian
- stämpla, stryka, upphäva, förkorta, annullera, släcka ut, avbryta, ta ut, återställningstecken, avbokaSwedish
Get even more translations for cancel »
Find a translation for the cancel synonym in other languages:
Select another language: