observe, celebrate, keep(verb)
behave as expected during of holidays or rites
"Keep the commandments"; "celebrate Christmas"; "Observe Yom Kippur"
detect, retain, hold open, hold back, keep an eye on, hold on, find, continue, stay fresh, notice, abide by, honor, lionise, keep, remark, go on, celebrate, watch over, take note, proceed, go along, watch, follow, save, observe, prevent, restrain, honour, mention, lionize, keep open, keep on, preserve, respect, maintain, keep back, sustain, hold, discover, fete, note
have a celebration
"They were feting the patriarch of the family"; "After the exam, the students were celebrating"
lionize, lionise, celebrate(verb)
assign great social importance to
"The film director was celebrated all over Hollywood"; "The tenor was lionized in Vienna"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
To celebrate any event or occasion is to make some demonstration of respect or rejoicing because of or in memory of it, or to perform such public rites or ceremonies as it properly demands. We celebrate the birth, commemorate the death of one beloved or honored. We celebrate a national anniversary with music and song, with firing of guns and ringing of bells; we commemorate by any solemn and thoughtful service, or by a monument or other enduring memorial. We keep the Sabbath, solemnize a marriage, observe an anniversary; we celebrate or observe the Lord's Supper in which believers commemorate the sufferings and death of Christ.
We celebrate the day with appropriate ceremonies; the victory was celebrated by the people, with rejoicing.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for celebrate
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- чествам, прославям, ознаменувам, празнувамBulgarian
- celebrarCatalan, Valencian
- feste, prise, fejre, højtideligholdeDanish
- feiern, zelebrierenGerman
- reverenciar, celebrar, festejarSpanish
- juhlia, ylistääFinnish
- fêter, faire la fête, célébrer, rendre hommageFrench
- celebrare, festeggiareItalian
- świętować, fetować, wychwalać, sławić, uczcić, obchodzić, oblaćPolish
- celebrar, festejarPortuguese
- прославлять, отпраздновать, прославить, праздновать, чествоватьRussian
- slaviti, славитиSerbo-Croatian
- جشن منائیںUrdu
- ăn mừngVietnamese
Get even more translations for celebrate »
Find a translation for the celebrate synonym in other languages:
Select another language: