chagrin, humiliation, mortification(verb)
strong feelings of embarrassment
humiliate, mortify, chagrin, humble, abase(verb)
cause to feel shame; hurt the pride of
"He humiliated his colleague by criticising him in front of the boss"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Chagrin unites disappointment with some degree of humiliation. A rainy day may bring disappointment; needless failure in some enterprise brings chagrin. Shame involves the consciousness of fault, guilt, or impropriety; chagrin of failure of judgment, or harm to reputation. A consciousness that one has displayed his own ignorance will cause him mortification, however worthy his intent; if there was a design to deceive, the exposure will cover him with shame.
He felt deep chagrin at (because of, on account of) failure.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for chagrin
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- разочарование, огорчавам, огорчение, досаждамBulgarian
- zarmoutit, zklamat, zármutekCzech
- Verdruss, verdrießenGerman
- mielipaha, olla pahoillaanFinnish
- miabhadh, sàraichScottish Gaelic
- mortificare, mortificazione, dispiacere, deludere, delusioneItalian
- verdriet, vervelen, chagrijn, irritatie, storen, ongenoegenDutch
- poczucie klęskiPolish
- огорчение, огорчать, шагреневая кожа, досада, досаждатьRussian
Get even more translations for chagrin »
Find a translation for the chagrin synonym in other languages:
Select another language: