a charred substance
charwoman, char, cleaning woman, cleaning lady, woman(noun)
a human female employed to do housework
"the char will clean the carpet"; "I have a woman who comes in four hours a day while I write"
any of several small trout-like fish of the genus Salvelinus
burn to charcoal
"Without a drenching rain, the forest fire will char everything"
char, blacken, sear, scorch(verb)
burn slightly and superficially so as to affect color
"The cook blackened the chicken breast"; "The fire charred the ceiling above the mantelpiece"; "the flames scorched the ceiling"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
To burn is to subject to the action of fire, or of intense heat so as to effect either partial change or complete combustion; as, to burn wood in the fire; to burn one's hand on a hot stove; the sun burns the face. One brands with a hot iron, but cauterizes with some corrosive substance, as silver nitrate. Cremate is now used specifically for consuming a dead body by intense heat. To incinerate is to reduce to ashes; the sense differs little from that of cremate, but it is in less popular use. To kindle is to set on fire, as if with a candle; ignite is the more learned and scientific word for the same thing, extending even to the heating of metals to a state of incandescence without burning. To scorch and to singe are superficial, and to char usually so. Both kindle and burn have an extensive figurative use; as, to kindle strife; to burn with wrath, love, devotion, curiosity. Compare LIGHT.
To burn in the fire, burn with fire; burn to the ground, burn to ashes; burn through the skin, or the roof; burn into the soil, etc.
Translations for char
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- обгарям, чистачка, овъглявамBulgarian
- Putzfrau, Saibling, Kohle, ansengen, ankohlen, versengen, verkohlenGerman
- παραδουλεύτρα, άνθρακας, καθαρίστρια, κάρβουνο, καρβουνιάζω, charGreek
- ruskistaa, taloudenhoitaja, puronieriä, puuhiili, hiillyttää, hiiltää, siivooja, hiiliFinnish
- calciner, omble, carboniserFrench
- carbonizar, chamuscarPortuguese
- чернить, уборщица, ручьевая форель, уголь, обугливать, пеструшка, обжигать, опалять, форель, коптить, обуглитьRussian
Get even more translations for char »
Find a translation for the char synonym in other languages:
Select another language: