a short prayer generally preceding the lesson in the Church of Rome or the Church of England
payable by the recipient on delivery
"a collect call"; "the letter came collect"; "a COD parcel"
roll up, collect, accumulate, pile up, amass, compile, hoard(verb)
get or gather together
"I am accumulating evidence for the man's unfaithfulness to his wife"; "She is amassing a lot of data for her thesis"; "She rolled up a small fortune"
heap up, call for, furl, lay away, hoard, stash, cache, amass, gather up, bundle up, wrap up, hive up, squirrel away, compose, roll up, take in, pull in, gather, roll, pick up, conglomerate, pile up, bundle, stack up, collect, pull together, accumulate, compile, cumulate, garner
collect, take in(verb)
call for and obtain payment of
"we collected over a million dollars in outstanding debts"; "he collected the rent"
earn, pile up, take in, put one over, gather in, suck up, pull in, invite, befool, gather, slang, imbibe, amass, gain, put on, view, roll up, put one across, take, have, suck, adopt, make, garner, see, receive, accumulate, gather up, ingest, realise, compile, soak up, sop up, watch, hoard, pull together, clear, gull, take up, call for, cod, pick up, fool, draw, bring in, overhear, catch, assimilate, absorb, dupe, realize, consume, collect, suck in
gather, garner, collect, pull together(verb)
assemble or get together
"gather some stones"; "pull your thoughts together"
hoard, assemble, call for, garner, gain, amass, pucker, gather up, meet, conglomerate, accumulate, roll up, take in, pull in, gather, pick up, foregather, pile up, tuck, collect, pull together, get together, compile, cumulate, earn, forgather
collect, pull in(verb)
get or bring together
call for, garner, realize, realise, hoard, amass, gather up, clear, draw, collect, roll up, take in, pull in, gather, pull, gain, pile up, move in, pick up, get in, pull together, accumulate, compile, bring in, attract, make, earn, draw in
collect, pick up, gather up, call for(adverb)
gather or collect
"You can get the results on Monday"; "She picked up the children at the day care center"; "They pick up our trash twice a week"
gain vigor, cop, pile up, take in, peck, call for, pull in, take, invite, gather, nail, need, amass, lift up, perk up, necessitate, arrest, roll up, get word, quest, nab, percolate, demand, garner, see, receive, accumulate, gather up, postulate, request, compile, require, hoard, pull together, collar, turn around, apprehend, get a line, ask, uplift, involve, find out, intoxicate, pick up, bespeak, elate, catch, learn, get wind, perk, collect, discover, hear
make a telephone call or mail a package so that the recipient pays
"call collect"; "send a package collect"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
To amass is to bring together materials that make a mass, a great bulk or quantity. With some occasional exceptions, accumulate is applied to the more gradual, amass to the more rapid gathering of money or materials, amass referring to the general result or bulk, accumulate to the particular process or rate of gain. We say interest is accumulated (or accumulates) rather than is amassed; he accumulated a fortune in the course of years; he rapidly amassed a fortune by shrewd speculations. Goods or money for immediate distribution are said to be collected rather than amassed. They may be stored up for a longer or shorter time; but to hoard is always with a view of permanent retention, generally selfish. Aggregate is now most commonly used of numbers and amounts; as, the expenses will aggregate a round million.
Amass for oneself; for a purpose; from a distance; with great labor; by industry.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for collect
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- сабраць, збірацьBelarusian
- събера, колекционирам, натрупвам, събирам, инкасирамBulgarian
- col·leccionar, reunir, agrupar, replegar, recollir, arreplegar, ajuntar, aplegarCatalan, Valencian
- vybírat, sbírat, shromáždit, sebrat, shromažďovatCzech
- sammeln, anhäufen, versammeln, OrationGerman
- προσχωρήσουν, συγκεντρώνουν, συλλέγωGreek
- juntar, coleccionar, recoger, reunirSpanish
- جمع کردنPersian
- kerätä, kasata, keräillä, periä, koota, kollehtarukous, eturukousFinnish
- rassembler, récupérer, collectionner, recueillir, percevoirFrench
- bailigh, tiomsaigh, cnuasaighIrish
- trusScottish Gaelic
- אסף, גבהHebrew
- शामिल होने, इकट्ठा करनाHindi
- միանալ, հավաքելArmenian
- 集める, 収集Japanese
- cōnferō, congregō, cōnstruō, congerō, legō, colligō, cōnficiō, condūcōLatin
- vākt, lasīt, kolekcionētLatvian
- собира, собереMacedonian
- opstapelen, verzamelenDutch
- zebrać, odbierać, zbierać, zgromadzić, kolekcjonować, gromadzić, ściągaćPolish
- a cobrar, reunir, recolher, juntar, colecionarPortuguese
- culeir, cleger, anculir, clerRomansh
- собирать, инкассировать, коллекционировать, собрать, взимать, краткая молитва, коллектаRussian
- zbirati, окупљати, okupljati, sabrati, okupiti, прибрати, pribrati, sakupljati, окупитиSerbo-Croatian
- zbierať, zebraťSlovak
- pobrati, zbrati, zbiratiSlovene
- mbledh, bashkohenAlbanian
- สะสม, รวบรวม, เก็บThai
- katılmak, toplamakTurkish
- зібрати, збиратиUkrainian
- tụ tập, tham giaVietnamese
Get even more translations for collect »
Find a translation for the collect synonym in other languages:
Select another language: