form the substance of
"Greed and ambition composed his personality"
"Beethoven composed nine symphonies"
write, compose, pen, indite(verb)
produce a literary work
"She composed a poem"; "He wrote four novels"
put together out of existing material
"compile a list"
calm (someone, especially oneself); make quiet
"She had to compose herself before she could reply to this terrible insult"
frame, compose, draw up(verb)
make up plans or basic details for
"frame a policy"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Allay and alleviate are closely kindred in signification, and have been often interchanged in usage. But, in strictness, to allay is to lay to rest, quiet or soothe that which is excited; to alleviate, on the other hand, is to lighten a burden. We allay suffering by using means to soothe and tranquilize the sufferer; we alleviate suffering by doing something toward removal of the cause, so that there is less to suffer; where the trouble is wholly or chiefly in the excitement, to allay the excitement is virtually to remove the trouble; as, to allay rage or panic; we alleviate poverty, but do not allay it. Pacify, directly from the Latin, and appease, from the Latin through the French, signify to bring to peace; to mollify is to soften; to calm, quiet, or tranquilize is to make still; compose, to place together, unite, adjust to a calm and settled condition; to soothe (originally to assent to, humor) is to bring to pleased quietude. We allay excitement, appease a tumult, calm agitation, compose our feelings or countenance, pacify the quarrelsome, quiet the boisterous or clamorous, soothe grief or distress. Compare ALLEVIATE.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for compose
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- творя, успокоявам, образувам, съставям се от, съставям, съчинявам, композирамBulgarian
- beruhigen, umfasst, zusammensetzen, einschliessen, komponieren, zusammenstellen, bilden, fassen, verfassen, enthalten, abfassenGerman
- συνέρχομαι, συνθέτω, περιέχω, ηρεμώ, συμπεριλαμβάνω, απαρτίζω, περιλαμβάνωGreek
- moodustama, rahunema, koostama, looma, sisaldamaEstonian
- sommitella, koostaa, säveltää, muodostaa, luoda, rauhoittua, koota, käsittääFinnish
- חיבר, הלחיןHebrew
- composeren, omvatten, bedaren, componeren, vormen, redigeren, samenstellenDutch
- compor, montar, recompor-se, constituirPortuguese
- составлять, писать, сочинять, собраться, собрать, написать, сочинить, состоять, составить, собираться, собиратьRussian
- soạn, biên soạn, soạn thảoVietnamese
Get even more translations for compose »
Find a translation for the compose synonym in other languages:
Select another language: