companion, comrade, fellow, familiar, associate(noun)
a friend who is frequently in the company of another
"drinking companions"; "comrades in arms"
brother, dude, boyfriend, feller, mate, lad, bloke, associate degree, beau, young man, blighter, familiar, gent, confrere, colleague, swain, cuss, fella, fellow traveller, familiar spirit, chap, comrade, fellow, associate, buster, companion, fellow traveler
a fellow member of the Communist Party
used as a term of address for those male persons engaged in the same movement
comrade(noun)A mate, companion, or associate.
comrade(noun)A companion in battle, fellow soldier.
comrade(noun)A fellow socialist or Communist.
comrade(noun)(As a title replacing Mr, Mrs, Miss, Ms etc in leftwing circles) Comrade Lenin
English Synonyms and Antonyms
An associate as used officially implies a chief, leader, or principal, to whom the associate is not fully equal in rank. Associate is popularly used of mere friendly relations, but oftener implies some work, enterprise, or pursuit in which the associated persons unite. We rarely speak of associates in crime or wrong, using confederates or accomplices instead. Companion gives itself with equal readiness to the good or evil sense, as also does comrade. One may be a companion in travel who would not readily become an associate at home. A lady advertises for a companion; she would not advertise for an associate. Peer implies equality rather than companionship; as, a jury of his peers. Comrade expresses more fellowship and good feeling than companion. Fellow has almost gone out of use in this connection, except in an inferior or patronizing sense. Consort is a word of equality and dignity, as applied especially to the marriage relation. Compare ACCESSORY; ACQUAINTANCE; FRIENDSHIP.
These were the associates of the leader in the enterprise.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for comrade
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- друга́р, друга́ркаBulgarian
- བློ་མཐུནTibetan Standard
- camaradaCatalan, Valencian
- soudružka, soudruh, kamarádCzech
- Genosse, Genossin, KameradGerman
- συνάδελφος, συστρατιώτης, σύντροφος, συντρόφισσα, συμπολεμιστής, συναδέλφισσαGreek
- camarada, compañera, compañeroSpanish
- همرزم, رفیقPersian
- कामरेड, साथीHindi
- elvtárs, elvtársnőHungarian
- 同志, 동무, 동지Korean
- comes, commilito, comitisLatin
- bendražygis, bičiulis, bendražygė, draugas, draugė, bičiulėLithuanian
- дру́гар, дру́гарка, со́борецMacedonian
- कमरेड, साथीNepali
- maat, kameraad, makker, strijdmakkerDutch
- towarzyszka, towarzysz, kamrat, kompanPolish
- camarada, parceiro, companheiroPortuguese
- tovarăș, camaradRomanian
- това́рищ, камара́дRussian
- друг, drugSerbo-Croatian
- súdružka, súdruh, druh, družkaSlovak
- tovariš, tovarišicaSlovene
- safdosh, oʻrtoqUzbek
- đồng chí, 同志Vietnamese
Get even more translations for comrade »
Find a translation for the comrade synonym in other languages:
Select another language: