say something to someone that expresses praise
"He complimented her on her last physics paper"
pride, plume, congratulate(verb)
be proud of
"He prides himself on making it into law school"
pride or congratulate (oneself) for an achievement
English Synonyms and Antonyms
To felicitate is to pronounce one happy or wish one joy; to congratulate is to express hearty sympathy in his joys or hopes. Felicitate is cold and formal. We say one felicitates himself; tho to congratulate oneself, which is less natural, is becoming prevalent.
Congratulate one on or upon his success.
Translations for congratulate
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- честитя, поздравявамBulgarian
- gratulovat, blahopřátCzech
- beglückwünschen, gratulierenGerman
- onnitella, toivottaa onneaFinnish
- feliciteren, gelukwensenDutch
- ura, fericiRomanian
- поздравить, поздравлятьRussian
- čestitati, честитатиSerbo-Croatian
- gratulera, gratta, lyckönskaSwedish
Get even more translations for congratulate »
Find a translation for the congratulate synonym in other languages:
Select another language: