convict, con, inmate, yard bird, yardbird(noun)
a person serving a sentence in a jail or prison
a person who has been convicted of a criminal offense
find or declare guilty
"The man was convicted of fraud and sentenced"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
To condemn is to pass judicial sentence or render judgment or decision against. We may censure silently; we condemn ordinarily by open and formal utterance. Condemn is more final than blame or censure; a condemned criminal has had his trial; a condemned building can not stand; a condemned ship can not sail. A person is convicted when his guilt is made clearly manifest to others; in somewhat archaic use, a person is said to be convicted when guilt is brought clearly home to his own conscience (convict in this sense being allied with convince, which see under PERSUADE); in legal usage one is said to be convicted only by the verdict of a jury. In stating the penalty of an offense, the legal word sentence is now more common than condemn; as, he was sentenced to imprisonment; but it is good usage to say, he was condemned to imprisonment. To denounce is to make public or official declaration against, especially in a violent and threatening manner.
From the pulpits in the northern States Burr was denounced as an assassin.
CoffinBuilding the Nation ch. 10, p. 137. [ Harper & Bros.'83.]
To doom is to condemn solemnly and consign to evil or destruction or to predetermine to an evil destiny; an inferior race in presence of a superior is doomed to subjugation or extinction. Compare ARRAIGN; REPROVE.
The bandit was condemned to death for his crime.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for convict
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- مدان, سجينArabic
- осъждам, каторжник, признавам за виновен, осъденBulgarian
- odsouzený, odsoudit, usvědčitCzech
- Sträfling, verurteilenGerman
- rangaistusvanki, tuomittu, tuomita, vankiFinnish
- reconnaître coupableFrench
- condannare, carcerato, deportato, condannatoItalian
- 犯罪者, 受刑者, 囚人Japanese
- nuteistasis, nuteisti, nuteistoji, pripažinti kaltuLithuanian
- veroordelen, vonnissen, veroordeelde, strafkolonistDutch
- skazywać, skazać, skazaniecPolish
- condenar, condenadoPortuguese
- зэк, осуждённый, осуждать, з/к, заключённый, каторжник, осудитьRussian
Get even more translations for convict »
Find a translation for the convict synonym in other languages:
Select another language: