distress, hurt, suffering(noun)
"the death of his wife caused him great distress"
a state of adversity (danger or affliction or need)
"a ship in distress"; "she was the classic maiden in distress"
extreme physical pain
"the patient appeared to be in distress"
the seizure and holding of property as security for payment of a debt or satisfaction of a claim
"Originally distress was a landlord's remedy against a tenant for unpaid rents or property damage but now the landlord is given a landlord's lien"
bring into difficulties or distress, especially financial hardship
cause mental pain to
"The news of her child's illness distressed the mother"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Grief is acute mental pain resulting from loss, misfortune, or deep disappointment. Grief is more acute and less enduring than sorrow. Sorrow and grief are for definite cause; sadness and melancholy may arise from a vague sense of want or loss, from a low state of health, or other ill-defined cause; sadness may be momentary; melancholy is more enduring, and may become chronic. Affliction expresses a deep heart-sorrow and is applied also to the misfortune producing such sorrow; mourning most frequently denotes sorrow publicly expressed, or the public expression of such sorrow as may reasonably be expected; as, it is common to observe thirty days of mourning on the death of an officer of state.
See synonyms for HAPPINESS.
Grief at a loss; for a friend.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for distress
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- nødsituation, ubehagDanish
- Kummer, Notlage, bedrücken, Not, SeenotGerman
- αγωνία, στενοχωρώ, συντριβή, κατάσχω, συμφορά, αναστατώνω, κίνδυνος, θλίβωGreek
- ansiedad, apuro, peligroSpanish
- aircScottish Gaelic
- óþægindi, vá, stórhættaIcelandic
- بێچارهیی, شڕ, دڵ تهنگیKurdish
- āwangawanga, māteatea, nonope, mōrearea, uhitea, ahoteaMāori
- zetten, druk, benauwen, onder, stressDutch
- ubehag, nødsituasjonNorwegian
- zagrożenie, niebezpieczeństwoPolish
- desconforto, angustiar, perigo, penhorar, desgastarPortuguese
- deranja, suferință, pericol, primejdieRomanian
- беда́, го́ре, бе́дствие, несча́стьеRussian
- आपद्, शोकः, दुःखं,, क्लेशःSanskrit
- distres, mukaSerbo-Croatian
- obehag, nödsituation, nödlägeSwedish
Get even more translations for distress »
Find a translation for the distress synonym in other languages:
Select another language: