double, two-base hit, two-bagger, two-baser(noun)
a base hit on which the batter stops safely at second base
"he hit a double to deep centerfield"
double, stunt man, stunt woman(noun)
a stand-in for movie stars to perform dangerous stunts
"his first job in Hollywood was as a double for Clark Gable"
double, image, look-alike(noun)
someone who closely resembles a famous person (especially an actor)
"he could be Gingrich's double"; "she's the very image of her mother"
two-bagger, two-baser, figure, trope, epitome, paradigm, ikon, icon, simulacrum, range of a function, figure of speech, image, stunt man, effigy, persona, look-alike, doubling, range, two-base hit, stunt woman, prototype, mental image, double, picture
a quantity that is twice as great as another
"36 is the double of 18"
raising the stakes in a card game by a factor of 2
"I decided his double was a bluff"
double, dual, twofold, two-fold, treble, threefold, three-fold(adj)
having more than one decidedly dissimilar aspects or qualities
"a double (or dual) role for an actor"; "the office of a clergyman is twofold; public preaching and private influence"- R.W.Emerson; "every episode has its double and treble meaning"-Frederick Harrison
double, dual, duple(adj)
consisting of or involving two parts or components usually in pairs
"an egg with a double yolk"; "a double (binary) star"; "double doors"; "dual controls for pilot and copilot"; "duple (or double) time consists of two (or a multiple of two) beats to a measure"
double, doubled, twofold, two-fold(adj)
twice as great or many
"ate a double portion"; "the dose is doubled"; "a twofold increase"
used of flowers having more than the usual number of petals in crowded or overlapping arrangements
"double chrysanthemums have many rows of petals and are usually spherical or hemispherical"
used of homologous chromosomes associated in pairs in synapsis
large enough for two
"a double bed"; "a double room"
having two meanings with intent to deceive
"a sly double meaning"; "spoke with forked tongue"
"The population doubled within 50 years"
hit a two-base hit
double over, double, double up(verb)
bend over or curl up, usually with laughter or pain
"He doubled and vomited violently"
do double duty; serve two purposes or have two functions
"She doubles as his wife and secretary"
bridge: make a demand for (a card or suit)
duplicate, reduplicate, double, repeat, replicate(adverb)
make or do or perform again
"He could never replicate his brilliant performance of the magic trick"
double up, repeat, parallel, duplicate, reiterate, twin, geminate, recapitulate, retroflex, reprize, restate, recur, reprise, iterate, double over, ingeminate, echo, replicate, retell, take over, reduplicate, double, copy
downward and forward
"he was bent double with pain"
"some people sleep better double"
doubly, double, twice(adverb)
to double the degree
"she was doubly rewarded"; "his eyes were double bright"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
twice as much
(naut.). Sail round
return upon the same track
twice as much
returning upon one's track (to elude pursuit)
List of paraphrases:
dual, twofold, twice, twin, two-fold, duplicate, doubling, redouble, doubles, two-pronged, doubly, 2x, doppelganger, doubled, two-up, bend, twin-track, two-track, dual-track, duplicating, double-decked, fold, double-, doble, two-tier, duplication, two-factor, dual-, double-cross
Translations for double
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- двойно, двойник, дублирам, сгъвам на две, удвоявам, свивам, контрирам, копирам, сгънат на две, удвоен, кичест, двоен, двуличен, двойнственBulgarian
- doblar, dobleCatalan, Valencian
- dvojník, zdvojnásobit, dvojitýCzech
- dwbwl, dwblWelsh
- doubeln, Doppelte, kontrieren, verdoppeln, doppeln, Doppelter, ballen, Double, Doppelgänger, kontra-, doppelt, gefüllt, zweilagig, doppellagig, doppel-German
- διπλασιάζω, διπλός, διπλάσιοςGreek
- duobliĝi, duopa, duoblaEsperanto
- hacer de doble de, doblar, apretar, duplicar la velocidad, torcer, circunnavegar, doble, sosias, emparejar, duplicar, ser doble de, hacer las veces de, doblado, encorvado, bicapaSpanish
- kerrata, kaksinkertainen määrä, toistaa, kaksinkertaistaa, olla, laskostaa, kaksoisrooli, puristaa, tehdä, liittää, tuplata, äkkikäännös, korvata, kaksoisolento, kiertää, tupla, kaksois-, kerrottu, kaksinkertainen, tupla-Finnish
- double, doublerFrench
- dúbail, dúbailt, dúbailteIrish
- dùbailteScottish Gaelic
- כפיל, כפילה, הכפיל, כפולHebrew
- doppiare, sosia, doppio, doppione, doppiaItalian
- duplex, binusLatin
- dubbelgangster, dubbelgangerDutch
- sobowtór, podwójny, podwójna, podwójnePolish
- sósia, dobrar, dobro, duplicar, duploPortuguese
- dubel, dobelRomansh
- dubla, îndoi, dublu, dublatRomanian
- удваивать, удвоить, двойник, двойнойRussian
- dvojnik, dvojnicaSerbo-Croatian
- dubbla, dubbel, ersätta, dubbelvika, duplicera, dubbelgångare, runda, fördubbla, dubblera, tvetydig, tvåfaldig, dubbelviktSwedish
Get even more translations for double »
Find a translation for the double synonym in other languages:
Select another language: