drowsy, drowsing(a), dozy(adj)
"made drowsy by the long ride"; "it seemed a pity to disturb the drowsing (or dozing) professor"; "a tired dozy child"; "the nodding (or napping) grandmother in her rocking chair"
drowsy, oscitant, yawning(a)(adj)
showing lack of attention or boredom
"the yawning congregation"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Slow signifies moving through a relatively short distance, or with a relatively small number of motions in a given time; slow also applies to that which is a relatively long while in beginning or accomplishing something; a watch or a clock is said to be slow when its indications are behind those of the standard time. Tardy is applied to that which is behind the proper or desired time, especially in doing a work or arriving at a place. Deliberate and dilatory are used of persons, tho the latter may be used also of things, as of a stream; a person is deliberate who takes a noticeably long time to consider and decide before acting or who acts or speaks as if he were deliberating at every point; a person is dilatory who lays aside, or puts off as long as possible, necessary or required action; both words may be applied either to undertaking or to doing. Gradual (Latin gradus, a step) signifies advancing by steps, and refers to slow but regular and sure progression. Slack refers to action that seems to indicate a lack of tension, as of muscle or of will, sluggish to action that seems as if reluctant to advance.
See synonyms for NIMBLE.
jean, who is drowsy, fell asleep at when her head touched the pillow.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for drowsy
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- приспивателен, сънливBulgarian
- somnoliento, soñoliento, adormecido, soporífero, somníferoSpanish
- خواب و بیدار، نیمه خوابPersian
- unelias, nukuttava, unettavaFinnish
- stupide, somnolent, ensommeillé, soporifiqueFrench
- néalmhar, suanmhar, codlatachIrish
- suaineachScottish Gaelic
- soporifero, insonnolito, assonnatoItalian
- 眠い, 眠たいJapanese
- pōuruuru, hinamoe, hiamoe, hāmoemoeMāori
- senny, ospałyPolish
- modorrento, sonolentoPortuguese
- заспанный, усыпляющий, сонный, снотворный, сонливый, нудныйRussian
- pospan, dremljiv, поспан, sanjiv, сањив, дремљивSerbo-Croatian
Get even more translations for drowsy »
Find a translation for the drowsy synonym in other languages:
Select another language: