component, constituent, element, factor, ingredient(noun)
an abstract part of something
"jealousy was a component of his character"; "two constituents of a musical composition are melody and harmony"; "the grammatical elements of a sentence"; "a key factor in her success"; "humor: an effective ingredient of a speech"
component, constituent, element(noun)
an artifact that is one of the individual parts of which a composite entity is made up; especially a part that can be separated from or attached to a system
"spare components for cars"; "a component or constituent element of a system"
chemical element, element(noun)
any of the more than 100 known substances (of which 92 occur naturally) that cannot be separated into simpler substances and that singly or in combination constitute all matter
the most favorable environment for a plant or animal
"water is the element of fishes"
one of four substances thought in ancient and medieval cosmology to constitute the physical universe
"the alchemists believed that there were four elements"
the situation in which you are happiest and most effective
"in your element"
a straight line that generates a cylinder or cone
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Part, a substance, quantity, or amount that is the result of the division of something greater, is the general word, including all the others of this group. A fragment is the result of breaking, rending, or disruption of some kind, while a piece may be smoothly or evenly separated and have a certain completeness in itself. A piece is often taken for a sample; a fragment scarcely would be. Division and fraction are always regarded as in connection with the total; divisions may be equal or unequal; a fraction is one of several equal parts into which the whole is supposed to be divided. A portion is a part viewed with reference to some one who is to receive it or some special purpose to which it is to be applied; in a restaurant one portion (i. e., the amount designed for one person) is sometimes, by special order, served to two; a share is a part to which one has or may acquire a right in connection with others; an instalment is one of a series of proportionate payments that are to be continued till the entire claim is discharged; a particle is an exceedingly small part. A component, constituent, ingredient, or element is a part of some compound or mixture; an element is necessary to the existence, as a component or constituent is necessary to the completeness of that which it helps to compose; an ingredient may be foreign or accidental. A subdivision is a division of a division. We speak of a segment of a circle. Compare PARTICLE; PORTION.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for element
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- عنصر, عنصر كيميائيArabic
- елемент, стихияBulgarian
- prvek, živel, elementCzech
- element, grundstof, elementerDanish
- Element, BauelementGerman
- alkio, häivähdys, siemen, alkuaine, elementti, perusosa, klassinen alkuaine, aines, aavistus, tunnusmerkki, vastus, varjoFinnish
- élément, membre, pointFrench
- dúil, dúile, eilimint, uraiceachtIrish
- dùilScottish Gaelic
- יסוד, איבר, עיקר, שביב, גוף חימום, גורםHebrew
- տարր, տարերք, հիմունքArmenian
- íbúi, stakIcelandic
- elemento, ambiente, elementiItalian
- 要素, 元素, 元, エレメントJapanese
- 要素, 원소, 요소, 元素Korean
- tārahu, pūmotuMāori
- element, fractie, gegevenDutch
- grunnstoffNorwegian Nynorsk
- áʼádaatʼéhígííNavajo, Navaho
- pierwiastek, element, żywioł, odrobinaPolish
- fundamento, elemento, resistência, resquício, meio, intempérie, vestígioPortuguese
- element, particulă, piesă, elemente, părticicăRomanian
- крупица, элемент, стихия, составная часть, звеноRussian
- element, grundämneSwedish
- 要素, nguyên tố, yếu tố, 元素Vietnamese
Get even more translations for element »
Find a translation for the element synonym in other languages:
Select another language: