a building or place that provides a particular service or is used for a particular industry
"the assembly plant is an enormous facility"
adeptness, adroitness, deftness, facility, quickness(noun)
skillful performance or ability without difficulty
"his quick adeptness was a product of good design"; "he was famous for his facility as an archer"
a natural effortlessness
"they conversed with great facility"; "a happy readiness of conversation"--Jane Austen
something designed and created to serve a particular function and to afford a particular convenience or service
"catering facilities"; "toilet facilities"; "educational facilities"
a service that an organization or a piece of equipment offers you
"a cell phone with internet facility"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Ease in the sense here considered denotes freedom from conscious or apparent effort, tax, or strain. Ease may be either of condition or of action; facility is always of action; readiness is of action or of expected action. One lives at ease who has no pressing cares; one stands at ease, moves or speaks with ease, when wholly without constraint. Facility is always active; readiness may be active or passive; the speaker has facility of expression, readiness of wit; any appliance is in readiness for use. Ease of action may imply merely the possession of ample power; facility always implies practise and skill; any one can press down the keys of a typewriter with ease; only the skilled operator works the machine with facility. Readiness in the active sense includes much of the meaning of ease with the added idea of promptness or alertness. Easiness applies to the thing done, rather than to the doer. Expertness applies to the more mechanical processes of body and mind; we speak of the readiness of an orator, but of the expertness of a gymnast. Compare COMFORTABLE; DEXTERITY; POWER.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for facility
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- леснина, лекота, приспособления, оборудванеBulgarian
- Leichtigkeit, Einrichtung, VorrichtungGerman
- facilidad, instalaciónSpanish
- laitos, mukavuudet, helppous, fasiliteetti, taito, taitavuusFinnish
- centre, installation, infrastructure, facilité, pôleFrench
- goireasScottish Gaelic
- ийкемдүүлүк, жарамдуулук, зээндүүлүк, жөндөмдүүлүкKyrgyz
- FacilitéitLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- voorziening, inrichting, gemak, aanleg, faciliteitDutch
- facilidade, instalaçãoPortuguese
- лёгкость, аппарату́ра, простота́, приспособление, здание, ги́бкость, обору́дование, учреждение, ло́вкостьRussian
- uređaji, infrastrukturaSerbo-Croatian
Get even more translations for facility »
Find a translation for the facility synonym in other languages:
Select another language: