fail to do something; leave something undone
"She failed to notice that her child was no longer in his crib"; "The secretary failed to call the customer and the company lost the account"
go, conk out, give way, overlook, flunk, bomb, betray, leave out, break down, die, omit, neglect, run out, break, overleap, flush it, drop, miscarry, miss, give out, ignore, fail, go wrong, pretermit, disregard, go bad
fail, go wrong, miscarry(verb)
"Where do today's public schools fail?"; "The attempt to rescue the hostages failed miserably"
disappoint, prove undependable to; abandon, forsake
"His sense of smell failed him this time"; "His strength finally failed him"; "His children failed him in the crisis"
bomb, betray, stag, conk out, deceive, fail, flunk, miscarry, sell, go bad, bewray, snitch, give way, flush it, lead astray, cheat, shit, give away, grass, neglect, break, wander, give out, shop, go, go wrong, die, run out, break down, denounce, cuckold, tell on, cheat on, rat
fail, go bad, give way, die, give out, conk out, go, break, break down(verb)
stop operating or functioning
"The engine finally went"; "The car died on the road"; "The bus we travelled in broke down on the way to town"; "The coffee maker broke"; "The engine failed on the way to town"; "her eyesight went after the accident"
peter out, function, crumble, give off, perish, break away, give way, unwrap, hold out, run, endure, lead, give out, hand out, split up, conk out, operate, dampen, travel, collapse, last, go wrong, bomb, transgress, discontinue, founder, weaken, go away, crumple, bump, discover, demote, stop, go, take apart, move, damp, ease up, rifle, separate, decompose, miscarry, split, run low, die out, cash in one's chips, dissect, smash, pause, move over, spoil, pass out, pass away, get out, drop dead, fracture, relegate, bring out, violate, reveal, divulge, part, betray, let on, blend in, run short, get around, get going, locomote, intermit, wear out, expire, lose it, check, break dance, break-dance, live, give-up the ghost, kick the bucket, breach, blend, burst, give, plump, crack, ruin, run down, fit, erupt, emit, better, flush it, belong, tumble, offend, go bad, become flat, survive, crush, get, disclose, break off, snuff it, bust, flunk, become, give away, break up, analyse, live on, interrupt, break out, croak, run out, choke, poop out, pop off, pall, sound, fall in, soften, go against, let out, come apart, neglect, extend, start, depart, kick downstairs, distribute, decease, die, pass, proceed, break down, infract, exit, conk, fail, buy the farm, bankrupt, hold up, develop, expose, break, analyze, fall apart, break in, snap off, snap, yield, work, cave in, wear, recrudesce
"I fail to understand your motives"
"The teacher failed six students"
fail, flunk, bomb, flush it(verb)
fail to get a passing grade
"She studied hard but failed nevertheless"; "Did I fail the test?"
fall short in what is expected
"She failed in her obligations as a good daughter-in-law"; "We must not fail his obligation to the victims of the Holocaust"
become bankrupt or insolvent; fail financially and close
"The toy company went bankrupt after the competition hired cheap Mexican labor"; "A number of banks failed that year"
fail, run out, give out(verb)
"The water supply for the town failed after a long drought"
go, beetle off, conk out, give way, fail, flunk, bomb, betray, peter out, break down, poop out, die, bolt, run down, neglect, run out, drain, break, bolt out, flush it, run off, pass out, miscarry, give off, give out, emit, expire, spill, go wrong, distribute, hand out, go bad
"Her health is declining"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for fail
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- не успявам, не работя, провалям се, отказвам, не сполучвамBulgarian
- fracassarCatalan, Valencian
- propadnout, fungovat, selhávat, selhat, nechat, přestatCzech
- svigte, forsømme, mislykkes, dumpe, fejle, undlade, slå fejlDanish
- missglücken, ohne Erfolg bleiben, scheitern, nicht gelingen, keinen Erfolg haben, versagenGerman
- fracasar, zozobrar, negar, pararse, fallarSpanish
- nurjuma, seiskuma, edutuEstonian
- تصورکردن, شکست خوردن, موفق نشدن, خراب شدنPersian
- rikkoa, pysähtyä, vikautua, ei, epäonnistua, vikaantua, pysäyttää, vioittaa, mennä rikkiFinnish
- tomber en panne, faillir, recaler, négliger, échouerFrench
- fàilligScottish Gaelic
- ignorare, omettere, mancare l'obiettivo, fallire, tralasciare, bocciare, negligere, mancareItalian
- жол болбоо, иш ордунан чыкпай калууKyrgyz
- paheke, takaMāori
- falen, mankeren, negeren, mislukken, buizenDutch
- mislykkes, feile, svikteNorwegian
- reprovar, pifar, deixar de, falhar, fracassarPortuguese
- a rata, a strica, a se stricaRomanian
- выходить из строя, терпеть неудачу, провалиться, провалить, не справитьсяRussian
- mankera, misslyckas, falleraSwedish
Get even more translations for fail »
Find a translation for the fail synonym in other languages:
Select another language: