jeer, jeering, mockery, scoff, scoffing(verb)
showing your contempt by derision
jeer, scoff, flout, barrack, gibe(verb)
laugh at with contempt and derision
"The crowd jeered at the speaker"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
A sneer may be simply a contemptuous facial contortion, or it may be some brief satirical utterance that throws a contemptuous side-light on what it attacks without attempting to prove or disprove; a depreciatory implication may be given in a sneer such as could only be answered by elaborate argument or proof, which would seem to give the attack undue importance:
Who can refute a sneer?
PaleyMoral Philosophy bk. v, ch. ix.
A fling is careless and commonly pettish; a taunt is intentionally insulting and provoking; the sneer is supercilious; the taunt is defiant. The jeer and gibe are uttered; the gibe is bitter, and often sly or covert; the jeer is rude and open. A scoff may be in act or word, and is commonly directed against that which claims honor, reverence, or worship. Compare BANTER.
Only an essentially vicious mind is capable of a sneer at virtue.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for jeer
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- burleriaCatalan, Valencian
- posměšek, posmívat, posměchCzech
- Spott, Fall, spotten, HGerman
- burlarse, abuchear, burlería, burlaSpanish
- ilkkua, pilkka, taljasto, pilkata, ilkeilläFinnish
- railler, moquerie, moquer, raillerieFrench
- magScottish Gaelic
- मज़ाक उड़ानाHindi
- burla, deriderInterlingua
- deridere, schernoItalian
- やじる, あざける, ひやかす, 冷やかすJapanese
- kpić, wyśmiewać, docinekPolish
- zombaria, escarnecer, ridicularizar, zombar, escárnioPortuguese
- насмешка, высмеять, глумиться, насмехаться, глумление, высмеиватьRussian
- glåpord, smäda, häckla, okvädingsord, pika, hånaSwedish
- இகழ்ச்சி செய்Tamil
- chế nhạoVietnamese
- kofön, kofVolapük
Get even more translations for jeer »
Find a translation for the jeer synonym in other languages:
Select another language: