tilt, list, inclination, lean, leaning(adj)
the property possessed by a line or surface that departs from the vertical
"the tower had a pronounced tilt"; "the ship developed a list to starboard"; "he walked with a heavy inclination to the right"
rock, disceptation, lean, list, magnetic dip, careen, magnetic inclination, angle of dip, sway, leaning, contention, tilt, argument, joust, inclination, controversy, inclination of an orbit, disputation, propensity, contestation, arguing, disposition, tendency, inclining, angle of inclination, proclivity, dip, listing
lacking excess flesh
"you can't be too rich or too thin"; "Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look"-Shakespeare
lacking in mineral content or combustible material
"lean ore"; "lean fuel"
containing little excess
"a lean budget"; "a skimpy allowance"
not profitable or prosperous
"a lean year"
lean, tilt, tip, slant, angle(verb)
to incline or bend from a vertical position
"She leaned over the banister"
cause to lean or incline
"He leaned his rifle against the wall"
tend, be given, lean, incline, run(verb)
have a tendency or disposition to do or be something; be inclined
"She tends to be nervous before her lectures"; "These dresses run small"; "He inclined to corpulence"
course, operate, list, hunt, fly the coop, work, scat, move, turn tail, range, run, tilt, function, lead, lam, flow, melt down, track down, break away, head for the hills, extend, hunt down, endure, bunk, take to the woods, consort, execute, feed, prevail, bleed, carry, scarper, go, unravel, lean, play, die hard, race, pass, pitch, escape, dispose, black market, persist, incline, ladder, draw, hightail it, be given, slope, campaign, angle, tend, run away, ply, guide, melt, tip, slant, run for
rely on for support
"We can lean on this man"
cause to lean to the side
"Erosion listed the old tree"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
To tilt or tip is to throw out of a horizontal position by raising one side or end or lowering the other; the words are closely similar, but tilt suggests more of fluctuation or instability. Slant and slope are said of things somewhat fixed or permanent in a position out of the horizontal or perpendicular; the roof slants, the hill slopes. Incline is a more formal word for tip, and also for slant or slope. To cant is to set slantingly; in many cases tip and cant might be interchanged, but tip is more temporary, often momentary; one tips a pail so that the water flows over the edge; a mechanic cants a table by making or setting one side higher than the other. A vessel careens in the wind; lists, usually, from shifting of cargo, from water in the hold, etc. Careening is always toward one side or the other; listing may be forward or astern as well. To heel over is the same as to careen, and must be distinguished from "keel over," which is to capsize.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
incline (from a perpendicular)
List of paraphrases:
MedspeakUK Lean philosophy, lean thinking
Translations for lean
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- الخالية منArabic
- abocar, magre, repenjar-se, inclinarCatalan, Valencian
- lehnen, knapp, dürr, anlehnen, mager, schlankGerman
- reclinar, apoyar, delgado, magro, esbelto, ajustado, arrimar, estrecho, sobreoxigenado, declinarSpanish
- nojata, kallistaa, laiha, nojautua, hoikka, kallistuaFinnish
- serré, pauvre, presser, mince, maigre, pencherFrench
- delgado, delgadaGalician
- appoggiare, sporgersi, ricca, adagiare, slanciato, magro, scarso, sodo, asciutto, adagiarsi, magra, reclinare, pendereItalian
- 傾く, もたれるJapanese
- liess, kalsnsLatvian
- leunen, mager, tenger, aanleunenDutch
- lene, bikkeNorwegian Nynorsk
- mager, slankNorwegian
- oprzeć sięPolish
- esbelto, reclinar-se, magro, [[apoiar]]-[[se]]Portuguese
- slab, ține, inclina, subțire, rezemaRomanian
- бедный, обеднённый, поджарый, прислоняться, опираться, скромный, тощий, постный, наклоняться, опереться, наклониться, сухощавый, скудный, худой, прислонитьсяRussian
- viseti, nasloniti seSlovene
- mager, smal, lutaSwedish
- zayıf, kıt, dayanmak, yağlı, yağsız, yaslanmak, inceTurkish
- kambag'al, ozg'inUzbek
Get even more translations for lean »
Find a translation for the lean synonym in other languages:
Select another language: