match, lucifer, friction match(noun)
lighter consisting of a thin piece of wood or cardboard tipped with combustible chemical; ignites with friction
"he always carries matches to light his pipe"; "as long you've a lucifer to light your fag"
a formal contest in which two or more persons or teams compete
a burning piece of wood or cardboard
"if you drop a match in there the whole place will explode"
an exact duplicate
"when a match is found an entry is made in the notebook"
the score needed to win a match
a person regarded as a good matrimonial prospect
peer, equal, match, compeer(noun)
a person who is of equal standing with another in a group
couple, mates, match(noun)
a pair of people who live together
"a married couple from Chicago"
something that resembles or harmonizes with
"that tie makes a good match with your jacket"
match, fit, correspond, check, jibe, gibe, tally, agree(verb)
be compatible, similar or consistent; coincide in their characteristics
"The two stories don't agree in many details"; "The handwriting checks with the signature on the check"; "The suspect's fingerprints don't match those on the gun"
equate, ensure, hold in, hit, couple, jibe, accord, consort, tick off, fit, gibe, concur, chequer, hold, moderate, learn, checker, total, mark off, add, add up, twin, go, cope with, condition, assure, scoff, tick, tot, tally, harmonize, suss out, check off, check over, add together, accommodate, match, check up on, control, look into, ascertain, mate, mark, insure, change course, flout, tote up, go over, train, check, hold back, rival, harmonise, equalize, meet, pair, suit, tot up, jib, find out, see, discipline, equalise, sum up, equal, correspond, score, curb, concord, summate, gybe, arrest, stand for, check into, play off, contain, oppose, outfit, conform to, represent, determine, sum, stop, retard, crack, turn back, watch, chalk up, equip, see to it, break, touch, fit in, check out, barrack, rack up, jeer, fit out, agree, pit, delay
provide funds complementary to
"The company matched the employees' contributions"
match, mate, couple, pair, twin(verb)
bring two objects, ideas, or people together
"This fact is coupled to the other one"; "Matchmaker, can you match my daughter with a nice young man?"; "The student was paired with a partner for collaboration on the project"
fit, parallel, match, play off, touch, duplicate, gibe, equate, copulate, pair, couple on, checkmate, meet, agree, partner off, equal, check, pit, equalize, cope with, tally, rival, geminate, mate, pair off, couple, correspond, equalise, couple up, oppose, twin, jibe
equal, touch, rival, match(verb)
be equal to in quality or ability
"Nothing can rival cotton for durability"; "Your performance doesn't even touch that of your colleagues"; "Her persistence and ambition only matches that of her parents"
adjoin, touch, pit, have-to doe with, rival, play off, pertain, couple, match, concern, fit, stir, tinge, refer, meet, equalize, twin, agree, be, gibe, oppose, tally, equalise, affect, pair, jibe, cope with, equate, relate, touch on, equal, tinct, bear on, allude, bear upon, reach, contact, correspond, come to, advert, impact, partake, extend to, mate, disturb, tint, check
make correspond or harmonize
"Match my sweater"
suit, fit, match, outfit, play off, touch, gibe, equate, pair, equip, meet, agree, equal, check, pit, equalize, cope with, tally, rival, fit out, mate, go, couple, correspond, equalise, accommodate, oppose, twin, conform to, jibe
meet, match, cope with(verb)
satisfy or fulfill
"meet a need"; "this job doesn't match my dreams"
conform to, touch, pit, foregather, gather, fulfill, adjoin, see, match, rival, suffer, fulfil, meet, couple, equalize, converge, fit, satisfy, receive, agree, oppose, forgather, equalise, encounter, get together, pair, run into, cope with, fill, play, equate, run across, check, equal, play off, tally, assemble, contact, correspond, take on, jibe, mate, come across, twin, gibe
give or join in marriage
pit, oppose, match, play off(verb)
set into opposition or rivalry
"let them match their best athletes against ours"; "pit a chess player against the Russian champion"; "He plays his two children off against each other"
rival, react, touch, pit, mark, pock, play off, equate, match, fit, meet, couple, equalize, twin, agree, stone, oppose, equalise, counterbalance, pair, contradict, cope with, defend, fight back, equal, gibe, tally, fight, correspond, fight down, jibe, scar, controvert, mate, check
be equal or harmonize
"The two pieces match"
equal, match, equalize, equalise, equate(verb)
make equal, uniform, corresponding, or matching
"let's equalize the duties among all employees in this office"; "The company matched the discount policy of its competitors"
liken, equalize, equal, touch, be, fit, gibe, equate, pair, meet, agree, get even, equalise, check, play off, match, cope with, tally, rival, compare, mate, couple, correspond, pit, oppose, twin, jibe
to occupy the same place in space, the same point or period in time, or the same relative position
the events coincided
Dictionary of English Synonymes
List of paraphrases:
Aspirin and clopidogrel compared with clopidogrel alone after recent ischaemic stroke or transient ischaemic attack in high-risk patients
Translations for match
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- مباراة, عود ثقاب, كبريتةArabic
- матч, запалкаBelarusian
- мач, кибритBulgarian
- partit, misto, matxCatalan, Valencian
- sirka, zápas, zápalka, odpovídatCzech
- kamp, tændstikDanish
- Spiel, Streichholz, ebenbürtig, Zündholz, passen, übereinstimmenGerman
- ματς, σπίρτοGreek
- matĉo, alumetoEsperanto
- igual, fósforo, corresponder, emparejar, partido, cerilla, coincidir, igualarSpanish
- matš, tikk, tuletikkEstonian
- partida, pospoloBasque
- مسابقه, کبریتPersian
- vertainen, sopia yhteen, yhdistää, vastata, ottelu, tulitikku, matsi, täsmätä, [[olla]] [[yhtä]] [[hyvä]]Finnish
- dystur, svávulpinnurFaroese
- combiner, concorder, match, allumette, accorder, correspondreFrench
- cluiche, lasán, diongbháilIrish
- freagair, leithid, lasadan, thig suas riScottish Gaelic
- megfeleltet, egyezik, megfelel, meccs, gyufa, mérkőzés, megegyezikHungarian
- մատչ, լուցկիArmenian
- korek apiIndonesian
- konkurso, alumetoIdo
- incontro, fiammifero, pari, incontrarsi, partita, gara, simileItalian
- 競技, 燐寸, 合わせる, 試合, マッチ, 合うJapanese
- 맞다, 시합, 맞추다, 경기, 성냥, 競技, 試合Korean
- FixspounLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- шкорче, кибрит, чкорчеMacedonian
- шүдэнз, чүдэнзMongolian
- perlawanan, mancisMalay
- wedstrijd, lucifer, evenknie, gelijke, overeenstemmen, evenaren, match, zwavelstokjeDutch
- likemann, passe sammen, stemme overens, like, jevnbyrdig, kamp, fyrstikk, matchNorwegian
- tsitłʼéłíNavajo, Navaho
- dorównywać, dopasowywać, pasować do siebie, pasować, zestawiać, mecz, zapałkaPolish
- palito de fósforo, combate, fósforo, combinar, partida, luta, páreoPortuguese
- întâlnire, joc, egală, meci, chibrit, partidă, egalRomanian
- соответствовать, ровня, пара, совпадать, совпасть, матч, спичкаRussian
- žigica, palidrvce, meč, жигица, меч, ши̏бица, палидрвце, šȉbicaSerbo-Croatian
- zápas, zápalkaSlovak
- match, tändsticka, like, vara lika, matcha, passa ihopSwedish
- mechi, kibiritiSwahili
- maç, kibritTurkish
- матч, сірникUkrainian
- đấu, diêm, thi đấuVietnamese
Get even more translations for match »
Find a translation for the match synonym in other languages:
Select another language: