a city in southeastern France on the Mediterranean; the leading resort on the French Riviera
pleasant or pleasing or agreeable in nature or appearance
"what a nice fellow you are and we all thought you so nasty"- George Meredith; "nice manners"; "a nice dress"; "a nice face"; "a nice day"; "had a nice time at the party"; "the corn and tomatoes are nice today"
socially or conventionally correct; refined or virtuous
"from a decent family"; "a nice girl"
done with delicacy and skill
"a nice bit of craft"; "a job requiring nice measurements with a micrometer"; "a nice shot"
dainty, nice, overnice, prissy, squeamish(adj)
excessively fastidious and easily disgusted
"too nice about his food to take to camp cooking"; "so squeamish he would only touch the toilet handle with his elbow"
mincing, straitlaced, prissy, squeamish, decent, dainty, puritanical, straightlaced, priggish, overnice, skillful, straight-laced, gracious, tight-laced, nice, strait-laced, niminy-piminy, courteous, prudish, victorian, prim, exquisite, twee, square-toed
courteous, gracious, nice(adj)
exhibiting courtesy and politeness
"a nice gesture"
nice(adjective)Showing or requiring great precision or sensitive discernment; subtle.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Fine (Latin finis, end) denotes that which has been brought to a full end, finished. From this root-sense many derived meanings branch out, causing words quite remote from each other to be alike synonyms of fine. That which is truly finished, brought to an ideal end, is excellent of its kind, and beautiful, if a thing that admits of beauty; as, a fine house, fine trees, a fine woman, a fine morning; if a thing that admits of the removal of impurities, it is not finished till these are removed, and hence fine signifies clarified, clear, pure, refined; as, fine gold. That which is finished is apt to be polished, smooth to the touch, minutely exact in outline; hence fine comes to be a synonym for all words like dainty, delicate, exquisite; as, fine manners, a fine touch, fine perceptions. As that which is delicate is apt to be small, by an easy extension of meaning fine becomes a synonym for slender, slight, minute, comminuted; as, a fine thread, fine sand; or for filmy, tenuous, thin; as, a fine lace, fine wire; and as a thin edge is keen, sharp, fine becomes also a synonym for these words; as, a fine point, a fine edge. Compare BEAUTIFUL; MINUTE.
beautiful, clarified, clear, comminuted, dainty, delicate, elegant, excellent, exquisite, fine, gauzy, handsome, keen, minute, polished, pure, refined, sensitive, sharp, slender, slight, small, smooth, splendid, subtile, subtle, tenuous, thin
Dictionary of English Synonymes
List of paraphrases:
beautiful, pretty, sweet, lovely, pleasant, good, cute, handsome, fun, cool, belle, fine, enjoyable, gentle, good-looking, bel, happy, beau, charming, well, owl, neat, joli, great, sympathetic, agreeable, pleased, gentil, kind, jolie, chouette, jamil, delighted, -nice, beautifui, nice-looking, ravi, super, wonderful, fancy, pleasure, gorgeous
MedspeakUK National Institute for Health & Clinical Excellence
Translations for nice
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- عَطِر, لطيف, عَطِرة, حسن, طيبة, طيبArabic
- pěkný, příjemný, milý, krásný, hezký, pěkněCzech
- hübsch, super, nett, freundlich, wunderbar, angenehm, toll, lieb, schön, geil, lecker, sympathischGerman
- ωραίας, καλός, νόστιμοςGreek
- simpático, bueno, agradable, bello, bonito, rico, lindo, amableSpanish
- maitsev, meeldiv, kenaEstonian
- دلپذیر, ناز, پسندیده, خوشبو, خوشمزهPersian
- bon, belle, jolie, joli, bonne, beauFrench
- laghach, snogScottish Gaelic
- יפה, נעה, נחמד, נעימה, נחמדה, נעיםHebrew
- szép, kellemesHungarian
- buono, gentile, bella, bello, buona, simpaticoItalian
- 快い, 可愛いJapanese
- aantrekkelijke, mooi, knappe, fijn, aangenaam, fijne, lekker, aangename, aantrekkelijk, mooie, lekkere, leuk, knap, netjes, goed zoDutch
- pen, fin, hyggelig, sympatiskNorwegian
- miły, przyjemnyPolish
- bonito, agradável, bom, simpático, beleza, ótimoPortuguese
- милый, приятный, симпатичный, тонкий, вкусный, хорошийRussian
- krásny, pekný, príjemný, milýSlovak
- fin, smaklig, vacker, läcker, vänlig, sympatisk, god, najs, snyggSwedish
- ఆకర్షణీయమైన, పసందైనTelugu
- iyi, hoş, güzelTurkish
Get even more translations for nice »
Find a translation for the nice synonym in other languages:
Select another language: