(followed by `to' or `of') lacking conscious awareness of
"oblivious of the mounting pressures for political reform"; "oblivious to the risks she ran"; "not unmindful of the heavy responsibility"
failing to keep in mind
"forgetful of her responsibilities"; "oblivious old age"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
As regards mental action, absorbed, abstracted, and preoccupied refer to the cause, absent or absent-minded to the effect. The man absorbed in one thing will appear absent in others. A preoccupied person may seem listless and thoughtless, but the really listless and thoughtless have not mental energy to be preoccupied. The absent-minded man is oblivious of ordinary matters, because his thoughts are elsewhere. One who is preoccupied is intensely busy in thought; one may be absent-minded either through intense concentration or simply through inattention, with fitful and aimless wandering of thought. Compare ABSTRACT.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for oblivious
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- inconscient, ignorant, oblidós, oblidadísCatalan, Valencian
- neuvědomující si, nevšímavý, nesoustředěný, nevědomýCzech
- selbstvergessen, vergesslichGerman
- inconsciente, desprevenido, olvidadizoSpanish
- unohtavainen, tietämätönFinnish
- inconscient, distrait, ignorant, oublieuxFrench
- ignaro, ignara, inconsapevoleItalian
- vergeetachtig, onoplettendDutch
- ovetande, glömskSwedish
- habersiz, ihmâlkâr, unutarak, ilgisiz, ihmâlci, unutkan, dikkatsizTurkish
- tỉnh bơVietnamese
Get even more translations for oblivious »
Find a translation for the oblivious synonym in other languages:
Select another language: