cherished, precious, treasured, wanted(adj)
characterized by feeling or showing fond affection for
"a cherished friend"; "children are precious"; "a treasured heirloom"; "so good to feel wanted"
of high worth or cost
"diamonds, sapphires, rubies, and emeralds are precious stones"
held in great esteem for admirable qualities especially of an intrinsic nature
"a valued friend"; "precious memories"
obviously contrived to charm
"an insufferably precious performance"; "a child with intolerably cute mannerisms"
"there is precious little time left"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Unique is alone of its kind; rare is infrequent of its kind; great poems are rare; "Paradise Lost" is unique. To say of a thing that it is rare is simply to affirm that it is now seldom found, whether previously common or not; as, a rare old book; a rare word; to call a thing scarce implies that it was at some time more plenty, as when we say food or money is scarce. A particular fruit or coin may be rare; scarce applies to demand and use, and almost always to concrete things; to speak of virtue, genius, or heroism as scarce would be somewhat ludicrous. Rare has the added sense of precious, which is sometimes, but not necessarily, blended with that above given; as, a rare gem. Extraordinary, signifying greatly beyond the ordinary, is a neutral word, capable of a high and good sense or of an invidious, opprobrious, or contemptuous signification; as, extraordinary genius; extraordinary wickedness; an extraordinary assumption of power; extraordinary antics; an extraordinary statement is incredible without overwhelming proof.
See synonyms for GENERAL; NORMAL; USUAL.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for precious
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- каштоўны, дарагіBelarusian
- скъп, ценен, скъпоцененBulgarian
- preciósCatalan, Valencian
- drahý, vzácný, drahocennýCzech
- wertvoll, kostbarGerman
- πολύτιμος, επιτηδευμένοςGreek
- lómhar, luachmharIrish
- prìseil, luachmhorScottish Gaelic
- क़ीमती, प्यारा, कीमतीHindi
- becses, drága, értékesHungarian
- adorato, prezioso, unicoItalian
- 大切, 貴重なJapanese
- асыл, гауһарKazakh
- 귀중한, 귀한Korean
- кымбаттуу, асылKyrgyz
- pretiosus, pretiosumLatin
- скап, скапоценMacedonian
- waardevol, kostbaarDutch
- drogi, drogocenny, cennyPolish
- драгоценный, дорогой, ценныйRussian
- drag, dragocen, драг, драгоценSerbo-Croatian
- drahý, vzácnySlovak
- i çmuarAlbanian
- қиматбаҳо, гаронбаҳоTajik
- มีประโยชน์, มีค่า, ล้ำค่าThai
- дорогий, коштовний, дорогоціннийUkrainian
- qimmat, qimmatbahoUzbek
- quý, quý báu, quíVietnamese
Get even more translations for precious »
Find a translation for the precious synonym in other languages:
Select another language: