a person without moral scruples
depraved, perverse, perverted, reprobate(verb)
deviating from what is considered moral or right or proper or good
"depraved criminals"; "a perverted sense of loyalty"; "the reprobate conduct of a gambling aristocrat"
reject (documents) as invalid
abandon to eternal damnation
"God reprobated the unrepenting sinner"
condemn, reprobate, decry, objurgate, excoriate(verb)
express strong disapproval of
"We condemn the racism in South Africa"; "These ideas were reprobated"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
To condemn is to pass judicial sentence or render judgment or decision against. We may censure silently; we condemn ordinarily by open and formal utterance. Condemn is more final than blame or censure; a condemned criminal has had his trial; a condemned building can not stand; a condemned ship can not sail. A person is convicted when his guilt is made clearly manifest to others; in somewhat archaic use, a person is said to be convicted when guilt is brought clearly home to his own conscience (convict in this sense being allied with convince, which see under PERSUADE); in legal usage one is said to be convicted only by the verdict of a jury. In stating the penalty of an offense, the legal word sentence is now more common than condemn; as, he was sentenced to imprisonment; but it is good usage to say, he was condemned to imprisonment. To denounce is to make public or official declaration against, especially in a violent and threatening manner.
From the pulpits in the northern States Burr was denounced as an assassin.
CoffinBuilding the Nation ch. 10, p. 137. [ Harper & Bros.'83.]
To doom is to condemn solemnly and consign to evil or destruction or to predetermine to an evil destiny; an inferior race in presence of a superior is doomed to subjugation or extinction. Compare ARRAIGN; REPROVE.
The bandit was condemned to death for his crime.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for reprobate
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- verworfen, verlassen, verwerfen, Gauner, verwehren, aussortiert, Halunke, gottlos, verwerflich, ruchlos, Schurke, verdammen, ablehnen, zurückgewiesen, abgelehnt, verkommen, Sünder, erklären, verweigernGerman
- condenado, censurado, excomulgado, infame, inmundo, arrojado, relegado, infamado, reprobado, maldito, culpado, mancillado, manchado, inmoral, excluido, desterrado, desdichado, anatematizado, réproboSpanish
- blackboulé, maudit, anathématisé, évincé, excommunié, stigmatisé, blâmé, infâme, flétri, cynique, répudié, rejeté, réprouvé, condamné, marginalisé, immoral, banniFrench
- verworpen, veroordeeld, onverlaat, weigeren, schurk, veroordelen, immoreel, zondaar, verwerpen, verlaten, verwerpelijkDutch
- нечестивец, негодяйRussian
- alçak, ahlaksız, günahkar, reddedilmiş, lanetlenmiş, adi, lanetliTurkish
Get even more translations for reprobate »
Find a translation for the reprobate synonym in other languages:
Select another language: