the act of scanning; systematic examination of a prescribed region
"he made a thorough scan of the beach with his binoculars"
scan, CAT scan(verb)
an image produced by scanning
"he analyzed the brain scan"; "you could see the tumor in the CAT scan"
examine minutely or intensely
"the surgeon scanned the X-ray"
scan, skim, rake, glance over, run down(verb)
"She scanned the newspaper headlines while waiting for the taxi"
plane, run over, conk out, play out, scan, graze, sap, skim off, skim, skitter, crease, run down, poop out, run out, peter out, exhaust, glance over, check out, cream, rake, cream off, read, skip, skim over, tire
make a wide, sweeping search of
"The beams scanned the night sky"
conform to a metrical pattern
move a light beam over; in electronics, to reproduce an image
obtain data from magnetic tapes
"This dictionary can be read by the computer"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
To see is simply to become conscious of an object of vision; to look is to make a conscious and direct endeavor to see. To behold is to fix the sight and the mind with distinctness and consideration upon something that has come to be clearly before the eyes. We may look without seeing, as in pitch-darkness, and we may see without looking, as in case of a flash of lightning. To gaze is to look intently, long, and steadily upon an object. To glance is to look casually or momentarily. To stare is to look with a fixed intensity such as is the effect of surprise, alarm, or rudeness. To scan is to look at minutely, to note every visible feature. To inspect is to go below the surface, uncover, study item by item. View and survey are comprehensive, survey expressing the greater exactness of measurement or estimate. Watch brings in the element of time and often of wariness; we watch for a movement or change, a signal, the approach of an enemy, etc. Compare APPEAR.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for scan
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- تمعن, مسح ضوئيا, محصArabic
- escorcollar, escandir, escanejarCatalan, Valencian
- skandieren, abtasten, Scan, einscannen, AbtastungGerman
- εξετάζω, σαρώνω, ανιχνεύω, διερευνώGreek
- escandir, escanearSpanish
- skännima, otsimaEstonian
- silmäillä, skannata, tutkia, tähyilläFinnish
- numériser, fouiller, scander, scannériser, scannerFrench
- scannerizzare, scandire, scrutareItalian
- afspeuren, scanderen, scannenDutch
- escandir, varrer, escanear, varreduraPortuguese
- a baleia imaginea, scruta, numeriza, scanat, numerizare, scana, scanare, explora, scanerizare, sonda, cerceta, scanerizaRomanian
- скандировать, разглядывать, сканироватьRussian
- skanna, läsa inSwedish
- taratmak, taramakTurkish
Get even more translations for scan »
Find a translation for the scan synonym in other languages:
Select another language: