(music) a curved line spanning notes that are to be played legato
a disparaging remark
"in the 19th century any reference to female sexuality was considered a vile aspersion"; "it is difficult for a woman to understand a man's sensitivity to any slur on his virility"
smudge, spot, blot, daub, smear, smirch, slur(verb)
a blemish made by dirt
"he had a smudge on his cheek"
smudge, bit, patch, dapple, office, speckle, pip, touch, cytosmear, place, smear, aspersion, daub, fleck, cytologic smear, maculation, slur, post, stain, malignment, position, smirch, vilification, billet, blot, spotlight, spot, point, situation, berth, topographic point
play smoothly or legato
"the pianist slurred the most beautiful passage in the sonata"
speak disparagingly of; e.g., make a racial slur
"your comments are slurring your co-workers"
blur, dim, slur(verb)
become vague or indistinct
"The distinction between the two theories blurred"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for slur
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- reden, Bindebogen, undeutlichGerman
- legato, ligadura de expresiónSpanish
- sokeltaa, loukkaus, loukata, sammaltaa, herja, herjataFinnish
- liaison d'expression, mal articuler, legato, couléFrench
- ceangalScottish Gaelic
- legatura di espressione, legatura di portamento, legatura di fraseItalian
- легато, инсинуацияRussian
- bindebåge, sluddraSwedish
Get even more translations for slur »
Find a translation for the slur synonym in other languages:
Select another language: