(law) a right or legal share of something; a financial involvement with something
"they have interests all over the world"; "a stake in the company's future"
a pole or stake set up to mark something (as the start or end of a race track)
"a pair of posts marked the goal"; "the corner of the lot was indicated by a stake"
instrument of execution consisting of a vertical post that a victim is tied to for burning
stake, stakes, bet, wager(noun)
the money risked on a gamble
a strong wooden or metal post with a point at one end so it can be driven into the ground
venture, hazard, adventure, stake, jeopardize(verb)
put at risk
"I will stake my good reputation for this"
pretend, impale, guess, run a risk, chance, gamble, back, take chances, gage, endanger, threaten, peril, menace, imperil, embark, venture, hazard, jeopardise, jeopardize, stake, adventure, punt, take a chance, post, risk, bet on, game
bet on, back, gage, stake, game, punt(verb)
place a bet on
"Which horse are you backing?"; "I'm betting on the new horse"
mark with a stake
"stake out the path"
tie or fasten to a stake
"stake your goat"
kill by piercing with a spear or sharp pole
"the enemies were impaled and left to die"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for stake
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- pal, estacaCatalan, Valencian
- tyčka, kolík, kůlCzech
- Pflock, Marterpfahl, PfahlGerman
- πάσσαλος, παλούκιGreek
- paliso, paliseto, fostoEsperanto
- estacar, estaca, participación, poner en juegoSpanish
- tolppa, panos, seiväs, paalu, osuusFinnish
- pieu, tuteur, jalon, mise, pal, enjeuFrench
- stobScottish Gaelic
- sponda, in gioco, rogo, partecipazione, palo, paletto, stecca, posta, in palio, interesse, picchetto, pioloItalian
- 棒, 杭Japanese
- tālea, sudis, pālus, stilus, palumLatin
- PoulLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- aksje, stake, interesse, risiko, påleNorwegian
- stawka, pal, kółPolish
- кол, столб, подпорка, укреплять, пай, ставка, подпереть, ставить на карту, колышек, щеколда, доля, процент, ставить на кон, участие, укрепить, подпиратьRussian
- kolac, колацSerbo-Croatian
- påle, störSwedish
- kazık, pay, çıkarTurkish
Get even more translations for stake »
Find a translation for the stake synonym in other languages:
Select another language: