blasphemous language (expressing disrespect for God or for something sacred)
profanation, desecration, blasphemy, sacrilege(noun)
blasphemous behavior; the act of depriving something of its sacred character
blasphemy(noun)Irreverence toward something considered sacred or inviolable.
blasphemy(noun)The act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence for any religion's deity or deities.
blasphemy(noun)The act of claiming the attributes of a deity.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
In the highest sense, as in a court of justice, "an oath is a reverent appeal to God in corroboration of what one says,"
AbbottLaw Dict.; an affidavit is a sworn statement made in writing in the presence of a competent officer; an adjuration is a solemn appeal to a person in the name of God to speak the truth. An oath is made to man in the name of God; a vow, to God without the intervention, often without the knowledge, of man. In the lower sense, an oath may be mere blasphemy or profane swearing. Anathema, curse, execration, and imprecation are modes of invoking vengeance or retribution from a superhuman power upon the person against whom they are uttered. Anathema is a solemn ecclesiastical condemnation of a person or of a proposition. Curse may be just and authoritative; as, the curse of God; or, it may be wanton and powerless: "so the curse causeless shall not come," Prov. xxvi, 2. Execration expresses most of personal bitterness and hatred; imprecation refers especially to the coming of the desired evil upon the person against whom it is uttered. Malediction is a general wish of evil, a less usual but very expressive word. Compare TESTIMONY.
adjuration, affidavit, anathema, ban, blaspheming, curse, cursing, denunciation, execration, imprecation, malediction, oath, profane swearing, profanity, reprobation, swearing, sworn statement, vow
Translations for blasphemy
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- تجديف, كفرArabic
- блюзьне́рства, багаху́льстваBelarusian
- blasfèmiaCatalan, Valencian
- Blasphemie, GotteslästerungGerman
- کفر گفتن، حمله به مقدساتPersian
- rienaus, jumalanpilkkaFinnish
- diamhasla, blaisféimIrish
- toibheum, dia-bheum, grìosadaireachd, naomh-mhallachadh, ana-cainnt, lughadaireachd, naomh-mhallachd, eacnach, lùghadh, naomh-aithris, speuradh, dia-aitheas, baoth-bhriathar, dia-mhaslachadhScottish Gaelic
- חילול השםHebrew
- bestemmia, blasfemiaItalian
- 冒涜, 不敬Japanese
- godslastering, blasfemieDutch
- bluźnierstwo, blasfemiaPolish
- кощу́нство, богоху́льствоRussian
- богохуљење, bogohuljenje, bogohulstvo, богохулство, бласфемија, blasfemijaSerbo-Croatian
- hädelse, blasfemiSwedish
- богоху́льство, блюзні́рствоUkrainian
- báng bổVietnamese
Get even more translations for blasphemy »
Find a translation for the blasphemy synonym in other languages:
Select another language: