caution, cautiousness, carefulness(noun)
the trait of being cautious; being attentive to possible danger
"a man of caution"
a warning against certain acts
"a caveat against unfair practices"
caution, precaution, care, forethought(noun)
judiciousness in avoiding harm or danger
"he exercised caution in opening the door"; "he handled the vase with care"
circumspection, precaution, aid, tending, upkeep, guard, caveat, forethought, caution, cautiousness, concern, premeditation, charge, safeguard, tutelage, guardianship, carefulness, maintenance, attention, care, fear
the trait of being circumspect and prudent
caution, admonish, monish(verb)
warn strongly; put on guard
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Care concerns what we possess; anxiety, often, what we do not; riches bring many cares; poverty brings many anxieties. Care also signifies watchful attention, in view of possible harm; as, "This side up with care;" "Take care of yourself;" or, as a sharp warning, "Take care!" Caution has a sense of possible harm and risk only to be escaped, if at all, by careful deliberation and observation. Care inclines to the positive, caution to the negative; care is shown in doing, caution largely in not doing. Precaution is allied with care, prudence with caution; a man rides a dangerous horse with care; caution will keep him from mounting the horse; precaution looks to the saddle-girths, bit and bridle, and all that may make the rider secure. Circumspection is watchful observation and calculation, but without the timidity implied in caution. Concern denotes a serious interest, milder than anxiety; as, concern for the safety of a ship at sea. Heed implies attention without disquiet; it is now largely displaced by attention and care. Solicitude involves especially the element of desire, not expressed in anxiety, and of hopefulness, not implied in care. A parent feels constant solicitude for his children's welfare, anxiety as to dangers that threaten it, with care to guard against them. Watchfulness recognizes the possibility of danger, wariness the probability. A man who is not influenced by caution to keep out of danger may display great wariness in the midst of it. Care has also the sense of responsibility, with possible control, as expressed in charge, management, oversight; as, these children are under my care; send the money to me in care of the firm. Compare ALARM; ANXIETY; PRUDENCE.
anxiety, attention, care, charge, circumspection, concern, direction, forethought, heed, management, oversight, perplexity, precaution, prudence, solicitude, trouble, vigilance, wariness, watchfulness, worry
Take care of the house; for the future; about the matter.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for caution
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- внимание, предупреждавам, предпазливост, благоразумиеBulgarian
- garanti, varsomhed, kaution, advare, forsigtighed, advarsel, sikkerhedDanish
- Vorsicht, Warnung, Achtsamkeit, verwarnen, Behutsamkeit, Kaution, warnenGerman
- προσοχή, περίσκεψη, προφύλαξη, προσεκτικότητα, προειδοποιώGreek
- cuidado, cautela, advertencia, advertir, precaución, fianzaSpanish
- huolellisuus, varoitus, varoittaa, neuvo, huomio, ohjenuora, neuvoa, varovaisuus, teroittaa, tarkkaavaisuusFinnish
- figyelmeztetés, óvadék, óvatosság, figyelmeztet, óvás, óvHungarian
- cautela, cautioLatin
- varsomhet, aktpågivenhet, fraråde, advarsel, advare, forsiktighet, kausjonNorwegian
- waarborg, borgsom, waarschuwen, voorzichtigheid, manen, borg, voorzorg, waarschuwing, omzichtigheid, garantieDutch
- advertência, cautela, advertir, garantia, cuidado, cauçãoPortuguese
- осторожность, предостережение, поручительство, предупреждениеRussian
Get even more translations for caution »
Find a translation for the caution synonym in other languages:
Select another language: