a special group delegated to consider some matter
"a committee is a group that keeps minutes and loses hours" - Milton Berle
a fee for services rendered based on a percentage of an amount received or collected or agreed to be paid (as distinguished from a salary)
"he works on commission"
the act of granting authority to undertake certain functions
the state of being in good working order and ready for operation
"put the ships into commission"; "the motor was out of commission"
deputation, commission, delegation, delegacy, mission(noun)
a group of representatives or delegates
delegacy, missionary work, relegation, delegating, direction, military mission, committal, commission, deputation, foreign mission, delegation, agency, military commission, missionary post, perpetration, mission, charge, committee, representation, commissioning, relegating, missionary station
commission, charge, direction(noun)
a formal statement of a command or injunction to do something
"the judge's charge to the jury"
military commission, focus, focal point, accusation, commission, electric charge, management, delegacy, committal, counseling, explosive charge, counselling, deputation, care, steering, complaint, kick, heraldic bearing, billing, cathexis, way, tutelage, centering, boot, commissioning, bursting charge, armorial bearing, delegation, guardianship, direction, focussing, charge, focusing, bearing, guidance, committee, flush, instruction, thrill, rush, burster, bang, mission, counsel, perpetration
commission, military commission(noun)
an official document issued by a government and conferring on the recipient the rank of an officer in the armed forces
perpetration, commission, committal(noun)
the act of committing a crime
mission, charge, commission(verb)
a special assignment that is given to a person or group
"a confidential mission to London"; "his charge was deliver a message"
military commission, missionary post, accusation, commission, electric charge, delegacy, committal, explosive charge, missionary station, deputation, care, complaint, kick, heraldic bearing, billing, cathexis, tutelage, boot, commissioning, bursting charge, armorial bearing, delegation, guardianship, direction, charge, bearing, missionary work, foreign mission, committee, flush, military mission, thrill, rush, burster, bang, mission, perpetration
put into commission; equip for service; of ships
place an order for
charge with a task
commission(noun)To send or officially charge someone or some group to do something.
commission(noun)To place an order for (often piece of art); as, commission a portrait.
commission(noun)To put into active service; as, commission a ship.
commission(noun)A fee charged by an agent or broker for carrying out a transaction. Eg: Reseller commission, Finder's fee.
commission(noun)the act of committing (e.g. a crime)
commission(noun)The name of a service provided to validate the completeness and accuracy of a project or venture.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
warrant of authority
Translations for commission
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- поръчвам, комисионна, назначение, пускам в експлоатация, комисия, поръчениеBulgarian
- komise, provizeCzech
- in Betrieb nehmen, in Auftrag geben, Provision, Abschlußprämie, Auftrag, in Dienst stellen, beauftragen, Abschlußprovision, KommissionGerman
- comisión, encargarSpanish
- provisio, välityspalkkio, asettaa palvelukseen, antaa tehtäväksi, toimeksianto, valtuuskunta, komitea, tilata, komissio, toimikunta, tehtäväFinnish
- charger, commission d'agent immobilier, courtage, commission, mettre en service, missionner, commanderFrench
- barrantachd, barrantaichScottish Gaelic
- suruhanjaya, komisiMalay
- commissie, afsluitprovisie, afsluitpremieDutch
- prowizja, komisja, zlecić, zlecaćPolish
- comissão, acometimento, encarregar, cometimento, missãoPortuguese
- комиссия, назначение, комиссионныеRussian
- kommission, uppdrag, avgift, ge beställning på, uppdra, provision, beställa, ge i uppdragSwedish
- kodi, kodishaSwahili
Get even more translations for commission »
Find a translation for the commission synonym in other languages:
Select another language: