complain, kick, plain, sound off, quetch, kvetch(verb)
express complaints, discontent, displeasure, or unhappiness
"My mother complains all day"; "She has a lot to kick about"
make a formal accusation; bring a formal charge
"The plaintiff's lawyer complained that he defendant had physically abused his client"
complain(verb)To express feelings of pain, dissatisfaction, or resentment.
complain(verb)To make a formal accusation or bring a formal charge.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
To complain is to give utterance to dissatisfaction or objection, express a sense of wrong or ill treatment. One complains of a real or assumed grievance; he may murmur through mere peevishness or ill temper; he repines, with vain distress, at the irrevocable or the inevitable. Complaining is by speech or writing; murmuring is commonly said of half-repressed utterance; repining of the mental act alone. One may complain of an offense to the offender or to others; he remonstrates with the offender only. Complain has a formal and legal meaning, which the other words have not, signifying to make a formal accusation, present a specific charge; the same is true of the noun complaint.
Complain of a thing to a person; of one person to another, of or against a person for an act; to an officer; before the court; about a thing.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for complain
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- شكا, اشتكى, تذمرArabic
- подавам жалба, оплаквам сеBulgarian
- queixar-seCatalan, Valencian
- stěžovat, podat, stížnostCzech
- beschweren, klagenGerman
- valittaa, [[tehdä]] [[valitus]]Finnish
- porter plainte, se plaindreFrench
- dèan casaid, talaich, gearainScottish Gaelic
- शिकायत करनाHindi
- գանգատվել, գանգատիլArmenian
- lamentarsi, lagnarsiItalian
- ぼやく, 訴える, ぶつぶつ, 文句, とやかくJapanese
- ჩივილი, ბუზღუნი, წუწუნიGeorgian
- klagen, klachtDutch
- składać skargę, skarżyć się, narzekać, skarżyćPolish
- queixar-se, reclamarPortuguese
- жаловаться, сетовать, ныть, подавать жалобуRussian
- si plindeWalloon
Get even more translations for complain »
Find a translation for the complain synonym in other languages:
Select another language: