assurance, self-assurance, confidence, self-confidence, authority, sureness(noun)
freedom from doubt; belief in yourself and your abilities
"his assurance in his superiority did not make him popular"; "after that failure he lost his confidence"; "she spoke with authority"
potency, pledge, sanction, dominance, assurance, authorization, trust, self-confidence, say-so, self-assurance, federal agency, agency, bureau, sureness, confidence, government agency, office, authority, authorisation
a feeling of trust (in someone or something)
"I have confidence in our team"; "confidence is always borrowed, never owned"
a state of confident hopefulness that events will be favorable
"public confidence in the economy"
a trustful relationship
"he took me into his confidence"; "he betrayed their trust"
a secret that is confided or entrusted to another
"everyone trusted him with their confidences"; "the priest could not reveal her confidences"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Assurance may have the good sense of a high, sustained confidence and trust; as, the saint's assurance of heaven. Confidence is founded upon reasons; assurance is largely a matter of feeling. In the bad sense, assurance is a vicious courage, with belief of one's ability to outwit or defy others; the hardened criminal is remarkable for habitual assurance. For the calm conviction of one's own rectitude and ability, self-confidence is a better word than assurance; self-reliance expresses confidence in one's own resources, independently of others' aid. In the bad sense assurance is less gross than impudence, which is (according to its etymology) a shameless boldness. Assurance is in act or manner; impudence may be in speech. Effrontery is impudence defiantly displayed. Compare FAITH; PRIDE.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for confidence
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- поверително съобщение, доверие, сигурност, вяра, самоувереностBulgarian
- confiançaCatalan, Valencian
- jistota, tajemství, důvěra, sebevědomí, důvěrnostCzech
- Zutrauen, Zuversicht, Vertrauen, Vertraulichkeit, SelbstvertrauenGerman
- certidumbre, certeza, confidencia, certeza propiaSpanish
- itseluottamus, luottamusFinnish
- assurance, confiance en soi, confidence, confianceFrench
- bizalom, bizalmasság, bizonyosság, magabiztosságHungarian
- confidenza, sicurezza, autostima, fiducia, certezzaItalian
- 秘密, 打ち明け話, 信頼, 確信, 信用, 自信, 信任Japanese
- 속내, 확실성, 신뢰, 비밀, 확실하다, 신임, 자신, 신용, 확신Korean
- confidență, siguranțăRomanian
- уверенность, самоуверенностьRussian
Get even more translations for confidence »
Find a translation for the confidence synonym in other languages:
Select another language: